Quicksilver

Renegadenemo

Re: Quicksilver

Post by Renegadenemo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:01 am

Is there anybody out there who does not believe that, given a less unfavourable set of circumstances, DMC and K7 could have gone out there and set a record of 300mph+ in 1966/67?
I think there's little doubt that with a bit of tweaking the old girl could go out there with her 1950's Orpheus and still show them all how it's done forty-odd years later. And, Nigel, your time spent on this forum is time well spent engaging with all of us interested people so don't let the occasional ruffled feathers get you down.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

sutol

Post by sutol » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:23 pm

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:35 pm

Thanks for sharing this article, "sutol."

I'd read this piece a long time ago, but there will probably be a fair few on this forum who hadn't seen it.

One important piece of information was missing from this particular account, and that is the very specific warning given to Craig by a key member of his own team the night before he died - "We lost stability today, Craig". He was implored not to run the boat until they could get to the bottom of what was wrong with its stability.

In this respect, Craig's crash had similarities with John Cobb's fatal crash, when Cobb's own team had advised him not to run. In that particular case it was a structural deficiency that was the cause for concern, as opposed to a stability concern.

In both cases - John Cobb and then Craig Arfons - the drivers reassured their advisors that they would not push their boats, due to the deficiencies that they had both been made aware of: in Cobb's case structural, in Arfons' case stability. But in both cases, tragically for both men, they did push their boats to speeds well beyond what they had stated beforehand that they would, and their deaths resulted.

An awful loss of life.

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:02 am

Dear me, I have a couple of days off and everyone gets all edgy!

Nigel, I think you've done more for your personal PR in the months you've been with us on here than you've done in years of the QS website- keep it up! ;)

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:16 am

True, Mike .. true indeed.

But I am also aware that you can't please everybody ...

I hope other people don't feel I'm being flippant about WWSR fatalities. I have to be dispassionate about it because we are trying to build a boat that won't repeat some of the mistakes of the past, so we have had to look at accidents with a critical eye.

That doesn't mean I am critical of the drivers. Far from it. In the heat of the moment, a lot can happen - especially when there's huge speeds involved. I would not fall into the trap of being judgemental of a driver locked in battle, whilst sitting in the comfort of my office chair.

Going back to the earlier point made about K7, I fully agree that the boat and Donald were good for a 300 mph record. I think that Donald was just extremely unfortunate on that last campaign - really, from start to finish.

A key difference between the deaths of John Cobb/Craig Arfons and Donald's death is that the key advisors involved with Crusader and Rain-X had stated beforehand very reasonable and well-founded grounds for concern about the wisdom of proceeding, whereas Ken Norris, Leo and the rest of the Bluebird team were confident they were on solid ground.

But you need luck, as well, in record-breaking. And, sadly, theirs must have run out. :(

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:31 am

But I am also aware that you can't please everybody ...
You just worked that out, Nigel?

Not pleasing everyone is neither here nor there. It's the type-3 idiots you need to be careful of. We've encountered some proper losers over the years. This is where you're ability to take no notice is really put to the test.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Phill GB

Post by Phill GB » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:41 pm

Good aftrenoon all. This is the first time I have had a read of all your thoughts, good and bad re Quicksilver. I have followed the Quicksilver project now for the last ten years. I have also followed the events of raising Bluebird from the bed of Coniston and its rebuild over the years too. It is unbelieveable to me seeing all those 60s black and white photos of such a beautiful craft now today coming back to life in colour and credit must be given in full to all concerned.

Credit to must be given to Nigel and all the rest of the Quicksilver team for carrying on in the face of adversity over the years too. Many people, some here on this website, others in other Bluebird related clubs and no doubt others over a pint in the pub, have critisised the project simply because they did not know what was going on.

The answer is simple - get involved!

In my own little way through joining Club Quicksilver, I hope I have provided a bit of support in the odd few quid that I have pushed towards Quicksilver (dont tell the wife though!Bill you've had a bit too!). Nigel needs the money undoubtably but he also needs the time with the limited resources, especially in this day and age, to get the job done and done right, plus any other brilliant ideas that may come along to help.

It is pleasing to me to see the support that is now being given now that Nigel has opened up and said where/why he is where he is. Those of us in Club Quicksilver knew this all along and hopefully you have their full support to.

Now that you have given the guy a break, we should all get behind this British WSR attempt and look forward to seeing this project come to fruition, delighting in the success it fully deserves and of course knowing that British industry and knowhow can still 40 odd years later get the job done.

One last thing, wouldn't it make a great photo - Bluebird and Quicksilver on Coniston Water both basking in their glory on a sunny day!
A member of the Quicksilver Corporate Club - www.quicksilver-wsr.com
"The Quicksilver World Water Speed Record Challenge" 318mph+

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:30 pm

Hello Phill,

Good God - reinforcements!

It is a very pleasant surprise to see one of my own supporters' club members on this forum. Now I don't feel so outnumbered and we can duff-up anyone who doesn't agree with us - as long as they travel alone!

I think you'll find the Bluebird gang need funding as much as we do, so don't hold your breath. But they are a good bunch - if you can get past the language barrier (some of them are Geordies). 8-)

Thanks for your positive words - about both projects. You will find a lot of kindred spirits on this forum and lots of interesting facts about Bluebird K7 and other speed-record topics that don't make it into the mainstream.

Nigel

Phill GB

Post by Phill GB » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:29 pm

Nigel, the thing is they may not travel alone but at least we know we are quicker.
I am from St.Helens but now live in Wigan (dont ask), so us northerners will stick together one way or another. Anyway I must now put my flat cap on because its raining and go and feed the pigeons!

Cheers - Phill.
A member of the Quicksilver Corporate Club - www.quicksilver-wsr.com
"The Quicksilver World Water Speed Record Challenge" 318mph+

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:46 pm

One last thing, wouldn't it make a great photo - Bluebird and Quicksilver on Coniston Water both basking in their glory on a sunny day!
We can do that... Nigel?