Quicksilver

Renegadenemo

Re: Quicksilver

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue May 11, 2010 1:58 am

I can see I'm not going to be able to convert you to a love of fly-by-wire any time soon, Bill, but thanks very much for the web link. That's an interesting site and there is some kit there that we may be able to use.
I think fly-by-wire is a fabulous concept and in the right hands it has been made to work but I'm damn sure I'd not want a shred of wire connecting me to something as important to my throttle unless I'd lifted the whole shebang straight from a Eurofighter then had it serviced by the OEM and delivered and fitted by qualified techies.
You may be able to infinitely vary the ratio with your computer but traditionally this is why your brain is connected to your hand (or your foot) and, as for instrumenting it, fit an encoder on the shaft and have someone with a laptop reverse engineer it from there.
This is not a criticism, Nigel, it's more an outpouring of frustration because I sometimes wonder just who fills your head with all this nonsense. We all want to see your boat on the water, God knows we do, but at this rate you're going to be stepping aboard using a Zimmer. Engines have been reliably connected to throttles with string and sticky-tape a hell of a lot further away and at stranger angles than you have in mind since the fifties and now all of a sudden it's become a challenge?
Come on - stop wasting money on boffins' private flights of fancy and build a bloody boat, will you!

Rant over.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr » Tue May 11, 2010 9:04 am

Good rant, Bill. And some valid points made. And, just so you know I don't take offence, I'm dropping you this line to say I will respond, but can't reply today as I have a load of running around to do.

I will explain some reasons/background to what we're doing - and why we're doing things this way - tomorrow. It then may make some more sense, although it may still not fit with how you see things. But that's OK.
Last edited by quicksilver-wsr on Tue May 11, 2010 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Tue May 11, 2010 9:05 am

Thank you to the Honourable Member for Bluebird North; that was a party political broadcast on behalf of Messrs. Hammer, Meccano and Twatit, Engineering Ltd :lol:

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr » Tue May 11, 2010 9:12 am

Mike could have been referring to me. But we don't use Meccano. We use Lego, pram wheels and left-over bits of Airfix kits and radio-controlled model cars. ;)
Last edited by quicksilver-wsr on Tue May 11, 2010 9:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Tue May 11, 2010 9:14 am

quicksilver-wsr wrote:We use Lego and left-over bits of Airfix kit. ;)
Sounds like much of my childhood! :D

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue May 11, 2010 9:57 am

I knew I'd not offend you, Nigel. Just want to thrash a few things around for fun. You never know, some useful ideas might shake loose.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

polo

Post by polo » Tue May 11, 2010 8:58 pm

what if??
QS crashes?
she is to be the biggest and heaviest boat with the largest engine. This engine is connected to the cockpit[and hence driver] all the boat seperates, apart from the engine, cables and cockpit, then we have a rescue scenario.[ I have no doubt Nigel has thought of this]if the engine drags the cockpit down with it.
I am sure all who have dived in Coniston will say a viable rescue is impossible.
Tony Fahey in K8 had a system whereby if K8 decellerated at more than 8g then pnuematics/ hydraulics cut all the cable and wiring attachments and the safety capsule was 'ejected'[and then sunk like a stone killing Tony!]
A cockpit not connected to anything by cable or wires will hopefully be thrown free and be easily recoverable if made bouyant.
Whether the driver will be anything but mush internally after such a sudden stop is anybodies guess though.
I'm for safety first but agree with Bill on getting QS on the water ASAP.

malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk » Tue May 11, 2010 9:49 pm

I am sure the QS project leader when he is on line will respond with details regarding safety.

The pilot will be in the sponson which if it detaches from the spar(s) will be a suitable and no doubt bouyant safety 'capsule'. In a high G crash it is not too difficult to ensure that the connections sever - just look at an IHBA drag boat capsule coming out of the hull of a hydro or flat bottom.

Of course making sure there is no premature detachment is a necessity - Fabio Buzzi had a problem retaining his capsule in the Seatek Trimax diesel hydro and ended up with a peg and a retaining pin which was then connected by a cord to a wrist strap.

Malcolm
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr » Tue May 11, 2010 10:44 pm

Many thanks for all the points raised - which are well made. I will get to them as time allows. They are all valid points worthy of answers.

On the specific issue of getting Quicksilver on the water quickly, though, I must point out that it is in no-one's interests - least of all mine - to drag this process out. And the fact is that this has always been the case. Some people like to think that I have somehow derived some benefit from the long-drawn-out process and have profited from it financially, or whatever. But this is absurd. The longer any project drags on, the harder it is, year by year, to maintain its credibility - and its funding. The drawn-out nature of the Quicksilver project has never been anything other than a difficulty for me, personally, and it is certainly not what I had in mind when I started the project.

People need to try to get their heads around the fact that the Quicksilver project virtually started afresh at the beginning of 2005. From that point on, it was to all intents and purposes, a new beginning from a clean sheet of paper, for that is the point at which I was finally willing to abandon the idea of building any of the boat concepts originally proposed by Ken Norris. Some people involved in the team at that time wished to consider changing the name of the boat to signal the new start. I fought this and prevailed, because I felt we had a great name, a good brand, and that it would be wrong to attempt to disguise the old difficulties and pretend they hadn't happened by slapping a new name over them.

So, with a new design process beginning at the start of 2005, and with an almost completely new group of designers working together for the first time, we finally came up with a brand-new design for the boat in December 2007. It was a three-year gestation period. And then, starting in 2008, we got down to building the new craft.

We have gone as quickly as circumstances have allowed during that time. There has been no reason to prolong the process artificially. We are working as rapidly as our limited budget, and the limited man-hours our people are able to commit to the project, permit.

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Wed May 12, 2010 9:14 am

He means he made a brilliant thing that goes 'Click-swiisssssssssshhhhh'. :lol: