Space, The Final Frontier

Renegadenemo

Re: Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

Post by Renegadenemo »

I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
rob565uk

Re: Space, The Final Frontier

Post by rob565uk »

Fantastic - and some interesting ROVs too.

There is a complete Saturn V/Apollo stack displayed horizontally, suspended about 5 metres off the ground, at the Kennedy Space Centre. You can walk right along the length and the separate stages of the rocket are slightly separated so the internals are visible as shown below. This picture doesn't really convey the sheer size and complexity, but gives an idea. It's an awesome piece of engineering and definitely worth a visit if you are in Florida. There is another centre at Huntsville, Alabama also worth visiting.
kennedy_space_center_1b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
Richie

Re: Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

Post by Richie »

Renegadenemo wrote:Cool story here...

http://news.sky.com/story/1067576/amazo ... s-from-sea
I can here them in the ROV control room... "We need the extra sling"...."no we don't"......"yes we do"...."no we don't"....... Tee hee

I would love to get my hands on one of those ROV's especially with the manipulators ! Could recover stuff from all manner of depths without the worry of risking divers to deco sickness

As for the engines..... It'll fix ? Hehehehe
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

All that money and they haven't even cleaned it!

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

The entrepreneur is reluctant these days to say precisely when SpaceShipTwo will enter commercial service.

The projections for a start date issued in the early days of the project in the mid-2000s have long since passed as engineers have grappled with the complexities of developing the world's first spaceliner.
Tut tut...

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

That should start someone ranting on a forum somewhere .........

wbjohn

Re: What have forum members been up to?

Post by wbjohn »

Went to see the space shuttle Atlantis today, now that is a cool machine even when on a static display.

Nice new clip
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ds-newsxml
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

If visiting the Cape, don't miss the last remaining Saturn V with Apollo payload, displayed horizontally about 20 feet up in a huge display hall together with many other items from the lunar exploration era. It's an absolutely staggering piece of engineering, both in scale and complexity. For scale, imagine Blackpool Tower suspended horizontally above your head. (I believe you can get a similar experience by drinking too much and walking along Blackpool promenade!)

The Marshall Space Flight Centre at Huntsville, Alabama, is also well worth a visit. This was where most of the early research was done after WW2 and has an extensive display of various hardware, from early Mercury, through Gemini to Apollo. There are a number of complete rocket vehicles displayed both vertically and horizontally plus many other artefacts and presentations, making it well worth the trip.

I have been lucky enough to see both the Cape and Huntsville and hope to return to see the Atlantis display.

Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

There's some good stuff on Wiki about surviving Apollo-era components now in museums. It might even be accurate as the existence of bits of rocket can't really be argued, either they exist or they don't!

The sad part to me is reading the articles about planned post-moon landing use of Apollo kit. There was a plan for a manned flyby of Venus for one thing.
Matt in Mid Wales
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Mike Bull wrote:Another of the original Mercury Seven has died... :(
Sad to be losing Scott - but that is the way of it.

I was fortunate to interview him in the 1980s - Cooper, Schirra and Slayton, too, at different times (all gone now, as you say) - and found him to be most gentlemanly and open.

He didn't duck my line of questioning when I talked to him about controversial aspects of his sole spaceflight, but instead answered in a very reasoned way. I felt that he, among all the astronauts, had perhaps had the most vivid experiences of this planet, in that he had his 30-day "aquanaut" venture with SEALAB II to compliment his time spent in Earth orbit.

Also sad to learn of the death this morning of the racing driver Maria De Villota. One brave lady who was competing with the men on equal terms.

Nigel