Technical Talk

Richie

Re: Technical Talk

Post by Richie »

It was nice to see you again Ted, although I only popped in briefly it was evident that Christmas had come for Mike who seemed quite excited about fitting the pilot into the cockpit :lol:

Another footstep closer to success !
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

As ever I spent most of Saturday either under my welding screen or spinning plates as a rather full workshop cracked on with lots of jobs but I did see the Ted installation from the corner of my eye. It all looked very satisfactory and he was duly installed in an hour or two once various cockpit fittings were moved or just taken out and set aside and it was a little spooky seeing the boat mostly built up and a helmeted head bobbing about in the cockpit. I guess we'll get used to it.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

I second the spooky feeling. Every time I look at the sponson tops and see Ted in my peripheral vision, a little voice in the back of my head just keeps jumping up and saying "Sponsons: Correct... Hull: Correct... Helmet in cockpit: Correct... Whoa.. Hang on a minute.. That's not Donald!". It really brings home that she's going to get up on point again and feels like watching life being breathed back in as she gets ready for the dance. More so than the previous one to send a shiver down my spine;
12-06.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...
ted.walsh

Post by ted.walsh »

Grand Job, looks good..
it must be me as I like to slouch in the seat a bit but I don't think I could actually drive with my heal in Donald's actual position and get my leg under the wheel, never mind with the steering guard in place. Must of been pretty uncomfortable for him.
Black Knight

K7's hull

Post by Black Knight »

We can see the sponsons were unpainted on the bottom. Was that the same with the hull? I've seen photo's showing the nose where the fins are to be unpainted. Does that stay the same the whole way back or just to the step & then the hull being painted leaving the rear step unpainted?
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

Thought my post had been deleted lol

Hadn't come across this topic yet. At least this is my last night to spend reading them.

Could the grey just be the primer?

I wondered how he operated the radio as i hadn't seen a switch on the wheel. The mic in the mask was constantly on. The earlier masks were like that, basically the American mask with the plug on the cable changed to fit the UK helmet. The later versions had the on off switch. I had 1 fitted to my helmet when i had a collection ;-( It was brand spanking new mint never used condition as was the G-type helmet & Mk1A. All working order & i had to ebay it ;-(
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Not sure if at some point that blue bit under the nose Mike was left unpainted during the boats lifetime? I have or have seen a better picture of the nose with a clearer pic of the dragon teeth somewhere but cannot recall it at moment. Not a very well recorded part of K7 picture wise the old teeth usually hidden in the shadows of most pictures. Also her side profile was the main point of interest on view during attempts or pic's taken over the years. The dragons teeth a bit like detailed cockpit pics few and far between.

Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

The grey on the underside was some sort of graphite yacht paint that supposedly made your boat go faster. I have the details of it somewhere but once the machine climbed out of the water it all ran in air anyway. The original grey graphite stuff is still on the outer floor but it'll no doubt burn off when it's heat-treated as it must be before we can mend it. One of the last big jobs on the list.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

Can you give us modellers an idea of what shade of grey?

Spose there's gona be at least 50 ;-P
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

The same graphite stuff that was on the bottom of Miss England II and III, K3 and K4, but not K6, Ryland product I think, a real pain to apply!!
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................