Technical Talk

Renegadenemo

Re: Technical Talk

Post by Renegadenemo » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:48 am

I know the stuff we used on K3 was Ryland, but they have gone now
Ah, but it hasn't - the brand is now owned by Indestructible Paints and they will normally make up anything if asked nicely so we ought to be able to get the correct gloop.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Richie

Post by Richie » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:57 am

I say roll with the times and put the "sharkskin" film on the underside... I think they band this stuff from most sail boats in most classes....... My 14 still has it on though cough cough
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:44 pm

Now we know what a messy finish or 'gloop' may have to be applied to the hull of K7, does it mean that there should be an entry in the 'risk assessment' or an entry in the 'ecological report' for the Proving Trial?

Just asking ...... :?
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:38 pm

Now we know what a messy finish or 'gloop' may have to be applied to the hull of K7, does it mean that there should be an entry in the 'risk assessment' or an entry in the 'ecological report' for the Proving Trial?
Well there is an appreciable risk of whining, eco-nutters bleating about us poisoning a stickleback or something. Not sure what measures we put in place to mitigate such a risk. Perhaps tell Novie who the eco-nutters are, that they prefer green over any other colour and hand him a stick... :lol:

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:57 pm

Mike Bull wrote:Just to be pedantic ('Surely not!'I hear my colleagues cry) it was Rylard paint.
Confusing, this - at least to me ... unless K7 bore both Ryland and Rylard paint treatments.

I have very little left of the thousand or so of Leo's old things I used to own, but one survivor is a 1950s-vintage trade postcard with a rather striking artist's impression of K7 on the front with the wording Mr. Donald Campbell's "BLUEBIRD" finished throughout with RYLANDS PAINTS (their caps, not mine).

What's the story there?

Incidentally - Steve, you said Ryland was gone now, but in fact they live on. The Ryland brand has been going over 200 years: http://www.llewellyn-ryland.co.uk/corporateprofile.html

Nigel

malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:40 pm

Renegadenemo wrote:Well there is an appreciable risk of whining, eco-nutters bleating about us poisoning a stickleback or something. Not sure what measures we put in place to mitigate such a risk. Perhaps tell Novie who the eco-nutters are, that they prefer green over any other colour and hand him a stick... :lol:
As always Bill a simple solution to the potential problem ............. just not too sure that it would be legal. We could always fish out the little buggers (sticklebacks that is, not the bleaters) and leave them to die in the sun before throwing them back (which I think has been an EU approved fishing method for years). :lol: :roll:
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:10 pm

Mike Bull wrote:Don't worry about it Nigel, I've probably just got it wrong is all!
The odd thing is ... coincidence, I guess ... that there is a Rylard, as well as a Ryland, in the paint business.

Oh, well.

When I get a minute next week I'll take a snap of my (Leo's) Ryland K7 postcard and post it on here for posterity.

N.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:47 am

As always Bill a simple solution to the potential problem ............. just not too sure that it would be legal. We could always fish out the little buggers (sticklebacks that is, not the bleaters) and leave them to die in the sun before throwing them back (which I think has been an EU approved fishing method for years). :lol: :roll:
Ah, Malcolm... now I remember why we hired you. Of course, sticklebacks are a non-quota species according to EU ruling so we can catch, then allow to die, as many as we like. One more problem solved. Now what about mallards? Should I load the incubator with duck eggs instead of Christmas turkeys this year so as to have a stock of replacement ducks?

f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:56 pm

I'll have to check my K3 folder, though I was going from memory re Ryland on K3.

Maybe just drop the "RY" and coat it in "LARD"!!??

I know the finish on the bottom of K3 had not been got at (unlike the sides and top, which were awful as well as wrong), especially the parts that had sat on the cradle ever since the last time she was lowered back on in the 1930s. The Ryland/lard finish is really slippery, and very soft, and odd sort of stuff, but then again, that's a lot of wetted area to get unstuck.
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:26 pm

f1steveuk wrote:Maybe just drop the "RY" and coat it in "LARD"!!??
It's worked for lots of Channel swimmers! :lol:

Nigel