Technical Talk

malcolm uk

Re: Technical Talk

Post by malcolm uk » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:08 pm

Renegadenemo wrote:Now what about mallards? Should I load the incubator with duck eggs instead of Christmas turkeys this year so as to have a stock of replacement ducks?
For authenticity don't we need at least one duck to strike the spar cover? Not sure whether our experts can confirm the breed. So, yes a replacement or two would be a good idea and we can write that into our plans.

And if we have to scare the ducks, then we had better get some loud rockets to fire off before each run, that should wake up the village and send dogs running ....... (been there & done that) :lol:
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:22 am

For authenticity don't we need at least one duck to strike the spar cover? Not sure whether our experts can confirm the breed. So, yes a replacement or two would be a good idea and we can write that into our plans.
I actually found myself having to explain this to a crowd of eco-nutters once upon a time. What if we wounded a mallard, they wanted to know. That every estate within a five mile radius was stuffed with Range-Rover driving townies paying a fortune to blat ducks from the sky with their Purdeys and Berettas seemed to have escaped their notice. But as compensation for any potential duck-related mishap I offered, at my own time an expense, to establish a viable colony of Mandarin Ducks on Coniston water as I was raising Mandys at the time. What an interesting eco-friendly project that would have been, not to mention its tourism value, but no. They'd not heard of Mandys. Genius eco-nutters they were...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:36 am

I also can't help thinking that more birds are converted into exploding clouds of feathers by road, rail and air traffic daily than K7 has probably flattened in her entire life.

It's interesting to see the wacky ideas the greenies will dream up and use to try to block something. Often seems to be an excuse for nimbyism.
Matt in Mid Wales

mtskull

Post by mtskull » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:25 am

Dangermouse wrote: It's interesting to see the wacky ideas the greenies will dream up and use to try to block something. Often seems to be an excuse for nimbyism.
In my experience, the arguments of NIMBYS tend to be reverse-engineered, in the sense that they start from a position of objection for selfish reasons and then look around for any "concerns" which they can use in support of their case.
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:47 am

To be fair to them, most I've spoken to can grasp that, although there'll be a few rutted fields and perhaps a bit of litter, the good will outweigh the bad in that people who might not ordinarily visit the Lakes will discover it and bring their wealth and leave some of it behind and that that, in the longer term after the ruts have healed, will help to sustain the park.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

ted.walsh

Post by ted.walsh » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:19 pm

umm, ducks....they have an amazing ability to knock you off the plane when you trying to keep it all together and the right way up :roll:

Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr » Tue May 12, 2015 4:55 pm

This is pretty cool. How to machine a cube within a cube within a cube on the lathe from a bit of round bar!
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr » Wed May 13, 2015 2:01 pm

Good Lord! That's the kind of thing you see from rapid-prototyping demos. To do that with a lathe? Bloody clever! :shock:

Nigel

sbt

Post by sbt » Wed May 13, 2015 9:33 pm

I am told by a friend that it is a standard Apprentice Piece on both the Lathe and the Vertical Milling Machine.

How 'standard' it is outside the world of apprenticeships intended to prepare one for machining components for atomic weapons I don't know.

Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr » Wed May 13, 2015 9:52 pm

Must say we never made anything like that on the lathe when we were apprentices.
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!