Technical Talk

no1traumanurse

Re: Technical Talk

Post by no1traumanurse »

quicksilver-wsr wrote:
Renegadenemo wrote:And to think that the museum types told us that by dismantling the boat we'd be destroying history!
Good point, Bill.

This is Time Team stuff - make no mistake.

What's more, "new history" is being made by restoring and running the boat, alongside the "proper history" being unearthed from the past.

Nigel
"Time Team" would have taken a teeny tiny bit of wreckage and reverse imagined it to look like a paddle steamer if it was found in the lake or a water wheel if found on dry land. Ok, a bit tongue in cheek but its amazing the buildings they come up with from 2 floor tiles and bit of mullion.
The Blue Team are taking accident investigation to new levels, i wonder who will notice beyond these pages.
conistoncollie

Post by conistoncollie »

and they only have 3 days to do it
Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr »

Can you imagine what a future Time Team would come up with if they uncovered our workshop in a few millenia?
Fragments of brew mugs, biccie wrappers and old skin pins.
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!
Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr »

Penicillin for starters and I swear some of those old teabags move.
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

You only need to worry when the thing growing in one of the mugs walks over and asks if you can teach it to weld/rivet/panel beat... :lol:
Matt in Mid Wales
sbt

Post by sbt »

no1traumanurse wrote: The Blue Team are taking accident investigation to new levels, i wonder who will notice beyond these pages.
At least two, probably three, reports need to be written after the installation of K7 in the museum.

1. A 'Dig Report' on the Engineering Archaeology and what was learnt from it.

2. Based on that, and all the research that has gone on beside it, a report on the current state of knowledge and associated likely causes of the Severe Damage to, with one Fatality, Bluebird K7 on the 4th January 1967.

Report 2 really ought to be two, one from the historical point of view and the other for the information and safety of future Record Breakers, looking at underlying issues and extracting themes, organisational and technical, that apply today.

There may also be a useful report on what has been learnt that might contribute to the art of accident investigation itself.
Stuart Baker

Post by Stuart Baker »

Bill,

With all your anxiety about the air start system, I saw this today and thought of you...
image.jpg
It's the business end of the 3rd stage of a Saturn V rocket, but I'm sure NASA would share some of those bottles around if you asked really nicely...

S
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Wow! That's quite a bit of gas storage. How did I miss that?

Got home early tonight. For the first time in BBP history a workshop session was cut short by a power cut. We waited for ages but with only the emergency lights to work with we couldn't do much so we packed up and then, whilst gassing in the carpark, it all came back on again. Next time, eh...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Mike Bull wrote:Being somewhat out of my tree on paint fumes after spending the previous few very uncomfortable hours in the back end of the boat applying the regulation shabby finish, I was quite glad to get out in the fresh air!
Indeed - it's most unusual to see Mr Bull under the influence of any substance so his afternoon of Xyelene inhalation certainly stood out. I spent the afternoon mending some knackered alloy wheels for Bettablast then the evening making up parts for the boat's new moving dolly so it was a touch of metal fume fever for me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

I suggest the 'when' bleaters come join us one day, preferably in winter when we're assessing our health risks and must choose between hypothermia with the doors open or breathing assorted toxins.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler
PeteManc

Re: New Members

Post by PeteManc »

Many thanks (:
The BBP diary - particularly the 'pic of the day' - is massively helpful, and there are some amazing shots on the youtube updates. Neil Sheppard's book is also hugely enlightening. I have to say, until I started following the BBP diary, I would never have believed how twisted, corroded metal could be made to look like new.

I'm trying to make the Touchwood kit as close as possible to how K7 would have appeared just prior to her final attempt. I've already altered the kit's intakes, the ramped recesses either side of the cockpit, the nose (it's surprising how different K7's nose appears between different 66/67 Coniston photos) and I've just made a pattern for vac forming an intake duct, to give some 'depth' behind the inlets. There are certain details I can't see/quite make out in photos though, for instance:

* Donald's seat harness - are there any photos of what this looked like, and where it was attached? I'm not modelling the ''Donald'' himself, but I do want to try and capture the right look of his cockpit. Mike's ''cockpit walk round'' on the diary has provided some amazing info for the layout.

* This may sound an odd question, but if you were to look into Bluebird's inlets, would you be able to see anything of the intake bullet, or would it all be in darkness/shadow because of the inlet trunk? I'm just trying to get an idea of what's visible so I know in advance whether to model the front of the Orpheus including the 'bullet'.

* In ''With Campbell At Coniston'' there's a photo showing K7's air start bottles. Above the ''AIR'' label, there's a logo which looks like two words, ending with a sleek, compressed 'D' shape. Can anyone tell me what this logo was? I know the BBP diary had quite a feature on the restoration of the air bottles, but that particular logo hadn't survived if memory serves.
In the same 'WCAC' photo, the ''FRAM'' filter can be seen. I seem to recall reading somewhere that this was replaced with another component, and I noticed a photo of this in one of the youtube updates. I wondered what this component was? I'll be scratch-building the Orpheus too, so any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

* On Bluebird's fire control panel, I can make out the label which reads ''FIRE'' but I can't quite make out the other logo, it seems to be yellow with black lettering?

I'd be very grateful for any assistance with these details. There are probably other things which will crop up as the build progresses, and some other detail queries which I could probably illustrate better by attaching a photo with areas highlighted, I'll upload one as soon as I get chance. Thanks again (: