Technical Talk

Renegadenemo

Re: Technical Talk

Post by Renegadenemo » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:48 am

Hi Stuart,

I have a very simple model when it comes to running this job with zero budget. It says...

'When you go on the scrounge you give up the right to nag'.

Now there's a team of supremely talented and generous-beyond-belief engineers just down the road who have chosen to juggle working on some of the world's most prestigious military and civilian aerospace projects with mending bits of an old boat dredged from a lake with their fascinating, political landscape for a backdrop so I'm not about to get pushy!
In fact I'm hoping these good people will string the job out long enough that we can afford to buy one and all a beer and a commemorative polo shirt at the end of it.
Soon as I get word that it's time to get the test bed booked it'll be done.

Bill
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Stuart Baker

Post by Stuart Baker » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:34 am

Hmm, I thought so. I'll give them a poke on Monday :roll:

Stuart Baker

Post by Stuart Baker » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:27 pm

Should be able to give you a firm answer on the fuel system by the end of the week - the team are verifying that everyone is really going to do what they have said they will.

We are having to have a part of the fuel metering valve assembly manufactured from scratch due to corrosion of the original. This will be the long pole in the tent (so to speak), but the orignal part leaked so badly that we couldn't have calibrated it. Fortunately the drawings have survived the passage of time in better shape, but as with many parts from that era, there will probably be some black magic which is not written down that we may have to rediscover in the process. That's what makes this a great learning process...

S

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:54 am

Hi Stuart,

I got the low-down on the leaky valve from young Tom and I'd actually wondered about the corrosion staining when I stripped it way back when so I'm not surprised, considering the ridiculous tolerances to which these components are made, that it proved a showstopper.
This is an amazing learning process and it's a privilege to be a part of it - can't imagine you guys will be doing anything like it again anytime soon so I'm as intrigued with the black magic as anyone.
Just by way of an update from this end, the air-start system is only awaiting calibration of the PRV, everything else works now thanks to the invaluable help of your colleagues down the road. The igniters are both rewound and fully operable and the JPT thermocouples, gauge and associated wiring are all fighting fit and calibrated now so all systems are go as and when the fuel system comes together.

For those reading this who don't have a clue what we're on about, Stuart works with the team of brilliant engineers who are reworkng the original fuel system that propelled K7 on her final run and, through their hard work, that same system will fuel her new engine when she runs again. It's an impossibly complex and close-tolerance nest of widgets that proved so far beyond what we could hope to handle in-house that the only options were to retire it or seek assistance from the descendants of those who originally designed, built and operated it...
I'll tell the whole story one day when I'm allowed and in the meantime we should all be chuffed that British engineering is as alive as ever it was if only you know where to look.

Bill

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Stuart Baker

Post by Stuart Baker » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:35 pm

OK, to break the suspense, the fuel system will be complete by the end of September. We decided the best option was to make a complete new metering valve assembly, which will be done partly by one of our suppliers and partly in-house. We made a handful through this route for the Indian Air Force a few years back.

So you only have to hold your breath until September, by which time at the current rate of progress, the rest of the bird should be finished!

Regards

Stuart

f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:12 pm

High speed with hydraulic adjustable planeing shoes!!

http://www.seaphantom.com/
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:53 am

Lots of badly photoshopped logos there, I wonder if the owners of those brands know about it.
A strange craft - I could see it as a fast rescue boat or maybe in a military role but I doubt the family would want to be strapped in and battered over the ocean. If you took it somewhere calm and sunny they'd want a deck on which to sunbathe and if you took it out in the North Sea they'd not want to come with you.
It rather puts me in mind of a waterborne Jetpod and that didn't end well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCEN_Jetpod

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:06 pm

Those of an anoracky disposition may be interested to know that on Saturday we stripped the engine cover and threw the multitude of bits into various boxes for painting. It's 100% original and I'd guess we've probably made a couple of hundred parts to double and strengthen it where 34 years under water took its toll. All we have to do is get it painted then put it back together again now. That's all...

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:56 pm

A strange thing happened tonight... We connected up the pressure regulating valve on the air start, a piece of kit that only exists through a great deal of reverse-engineering from parts of the original and chunks of V-bomber and, guess what, it just worked.
First time and without fuss or bother - it just worked. That's never happened before and I was amazed to be quite honest. I was expecting weeks of frustration with it so there's a bonus and it's an amazing piece of conservation work too so I'm well chuffed with it.

Another thing today, I had a reporter call me to say that our tribute act is due to get wet next week and what did I think. I don't think I did much for his story by being too busy to think much of anything but I'll be curious to see how it all turns out.

klingon

Post by klingon » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:23 am

f1steveuk wrote:High speed with hydraulic adjustable planeing shoes!!

http://www.seaphantom.com/
MMMM put that in the River Clyde on a normal day and you might as well phone the lifeboat before you leave!-would LOVE to know how much one of these costs! :o
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"