Technical Talk

99hjhm

Re: Technical Talk

Post by 99hjhm » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:38 am

Renegadenemo wrote:
Must have been a pretty hefty job transporting/bringing them in! As a kid I remember being surprised by how big the ATL repro was, decades before learning it wasn't full size, so I get a good impression now of just how big the real K7 is.
They're heavy, cumbersome items, those sponsons. Exactly twelve feet long with planing wedges half their length. They're built precisely to the drawings and are perfect in every detail except for the use of helicoils here and there where it was simply not possible to put captive nuts into sealed voids. Oh, and the alloy plates on the front undersides are held with M6 stainless countersunk Allen screws because the quarter BSF equivalents in stainless were proving extremely difficult to source.
Are they going to be there atleast until the new year? Plan on visiting the Ruskin again when up in the lakes over Christmas time.

Richie

Post by Richie » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:49 am

I would imagine so.
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:29 pm

Although this is not put on as a public entertainment we do have some space in the yard for spectators on Saturday so long as they're well behaved and take it as bad luck if they get incinerated so if you would like to attend the first running of K7 in fifty years please PM us and we'll send you the house rules. There's a chance we'll fail for a thousand technical reasons but we might get a few engine runs too...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Black Knight

Post by Black Knight » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:18 am

Hoping you vid it for those of us stuck working & living frickin miles away

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:05 pm

Had our first test of our experimental starter today. Having obtained a high-pressure CT0801 starter as fitted originally to the boat we dismantled it and copied aspects of its design over to new internal components for the low-pressure CT1009 starter as used on the 101 Orph'. Basically, it worked first time and halved our air consumption on startup meaning that we're finally within reach of using the on board start system for real. Great result!

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

mtskull

Post by mtskull » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:41 pm

Renegadenemo wrote:Had our first test of our experimental starter today. Having obtained a high-pressure CT0801 starter as fitted originally to the boat we dismantled it and copied aspects of its design over to new internal components for the low-pressure CT1009 starter as used on the 101 Orph'. Basically, it worked first time and halved our air consumption on startup meaning that we're finally within reach of using the on board start system for real. Great result!
Sounds like a few simple words summming up a lot of very learned calculatory-engineery-trickery to me. Well done. :D
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.

Richie

Post by Richie » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:38 pm

Good luck for today !
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:54 pm

Awesome! simply awesome to sit in that cockpit and press the throttle pedal and feel the boat live and breathe and respond!

wbjohn

Post by wbjohn » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:14 pm

Thank you to everyone who attended today, without your attendance and help, days like today would not be possible. Especially members of the team who have to travel a distance.
Milestone day, well done team BBP.....

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:23 pm

Thank you to everyone who attended today, without your attendance and help, days like today would not be possible. Especially members of the team who have to travel a distance.
Milestone day, well done team BBP.....
Couldn't agree more! as I said to the TV news - there's no 'I' in TEAM