The Bluebird K3 Thread

thunderer

The Bluebird K3 Thread

Post by thunderer » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:25 pm

It suddenly strikes me that since there are TWO of the Campbell boats in existence, that it would be nice, when k7 is once again a complete machine, to see both running side by side along Coniston waters on an appropriate date in commemoration of or in tribute to Malcom & Donald Campbell.

I know that it may seem odd, but given the many achievments of both men, it somehow seems appropriate.

What does everyone else think?
Just cos my username is Thunderer, doesn't necessarily mean I SHOUT !!
"A vehicle is designed to be used, restored or otherwise" A personal response on the question "you have just restored it, why use it?"

f1steveuk

Re: K3 & K7 ??

Post by f1steveuk » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:37 pm

Nice to see, could be difficult to do, from a technical point of view.
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:01 pm

If K3 is operational I see no problem with inviting her over to take a spin with her younger stablemate but you can bet some eco-do-good-moron will start quoting the byelaw wording.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:10 pm

If you can keep Karl to below 10 mph it will be possible. Karl has said that his preference is for running K3 at the International settings where the boat ran. I am sure some one who knows dates will tell me when they should be run together, inspite of a 30 year or so gap. Where are you Steve ..... ?
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations

Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:45 pm

Is K3 running?? :shock:

I was told a few years ago that although it had been given an overhaul and stabilised, the amount of deterioration in the original fabric meant it would probably break if ever fired up.

As for the bylaw, wasn't it Sir Malcolm who got "the Campbell clause" to run K3 on Coniston in the first place? (Or do I need to refresh my memory a little more before posting?)

All we need now is a proper working replica of K4! Anyone? :lol:

Can you just imagine the sound alone of all three running up the lake together?! 8-)
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...

thunderer

Post by thunderer » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:07 pm

Further details of k3 to be found Here >> http://www.k3bluebird.com/

K3 "Getting Wet" (photo on k3bluebird.com)

As for a K4 replica, With all the experienced gained and connections made, maybe it could be a future project after the "broken barracuda" for bill and the boys??
Just cos my username is Thunderer, doesn't necessarily mean I SHOUT !!
"A vehicle is designed to be used, restored or otherwise" A personal response on the question "you have just restored it, why use it?"

malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:35 pm

That photo provides the answer that Karl has got K3 on the water as he intended to do, whilst carrying on the intention of father Paul.

In Sir Malcolm's day there were no bye laws. No National Park either.

The Park Authority wrote in a Bye Law 6 as there was lobbying from K7 club members and other power boaters when they were being framed. No one at the time probably thought that there would be a 10 mph speed limit on Windermere, but those close to the subject wanted a limit on Coniston, but there was the memory of the Campbells to preserve (in particular Donald) and racers such as Buckley saw the need for the exemption for World and National speed record attempts.

Could the Goodwood K4 be motorised? That was more a Coniston boat than K3, which seemed to go from Scottish waters to European lakes.

Not sure that Bill needs more ideas for follow on projects.

Malcolm
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations

f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:34 pm

It has been some years since I crawled around the insides of K3, but we did remove and replace the worst of the rot, and strengthened a lot of the less damaged areas. What has gone on since, I do not know. K3 was a dry boat, eg put in the water, only when needed to. We made up a wooden, removable, adaptor to take the smaller Meteor engine as I considered the R type to valuable, and too tricky to use. Plus there was only one tool kit, and that went missing after Eyston finished with it, so a full rebuild of R 37 would be very difficult.

K3 was unstable (at higher speeds), and I did wonder what the vibrations of a running engine and rough water would do to her. We insulated the engine installation, but as for water, that remains an unknown quantity. She only ran in the UK, at Loch Lomond for test purposes (though a full mile course was surveyed), but even in Sir Malcolm's day, and in his words she was "a proper bitch to hold, and very unpredictable". I wouldn't want to be at the helm running alongside K7!!! She twisted along her axis when rev'd, Leo said he went around her every time she ran and picked up bits that had rattled off her. That Karl has floated her is a huge testament, and without knowing what he and Andy (Taylor) have done to the insides, I wouldn't expect to see her hit anything near 30 or 40 mph, but they may surprise me.
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................

Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:11 pm

Looking at the blue-painted rocker covers (which I think are a rather nice touch :D ), and the lack of "ROLLS ROYCE" in the casting, it's safe to say the Meteor is fitted, although I've read that the long-term intention is apparently to get the 'R' back in there at some point.

Looking through the picture gallery on the K3 site just now, I noticed that there are some new pics of the meteor being fired up, so a powered run might not be too far away...

Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:16 pm

Back on the K4 tangent for a sec, do the actual blueprints for the hull still exist? Ergo: Could an exact replica be built or one that looks the same but with a lot of guesswork under the skin?