Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!
Renegadenemo

Re: Blue Bird K4

Post by Renegadenemo »

Really?

Quicksilver, Quicksilver, Quicksilver... :lol: :lol:
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
longarmedgibbon

Post by longarmedgibbon »

You will need another project bill when k7 all finished. Quicksilver then CN7 would be cool . Ian lazenby
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Malcolm Ops wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:25 pm Why not build - and sell - Jetstar craft on a commercial basis?
Possibly because all of the reasons why the craft wasn't a commercial success in its day still apply?
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr »

That does sound lovely and growly.
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Sorry, been reading through the thread before I joined in!

K4, I had nearly all the drawings of her at one time, not vastly different to K3 to be honest in general construction. I worked with Doug Nye, Hothouse Models and Jerry Judah on replica for Goodwood, now at Holker, and that was from those very drawings.

The good thing with K4 over K3 is that it will go around corners, but there are loads of really nice Ventnor hulls around that are real and historic, so the mileage in a full on reproduction, and at what cost is a hard one to justify.

I have done a potted history of Blue Ace in the Crusader book, as it was thee very hull Railton borrowed to demonstrate the principle to Malcolm Campbell, and had nearly equaled his then WWSR in 1940, with a tiny engine, right on Vospers doorstep!

There are four R types in the world, and not one complete one. No tool kit (not the biggest problem), and the engines that exist are way past hours (and that includes running on dyno's). Meteor, nah, Griffin, same dimensions, sameish capacity, would be better replacement (the prototype Griffin was R41 severely altered), so a bit more heritage too.

Crusader was a poor design!!!!!??? No, it was a very very good design (nearly had a flat power resistance curve), it was just poorly executed, and probably beyond the materials and construction techniques of the time. I can say very little, but there is no point building a new Crusader, especially as there was a new Crusader designed after September 1952. All in the book, publishing date soon I hope!!
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

I'd like to see a Miss England II replicated with twin Griffons
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I'd like to see a Miss England II replicated with twin Griffons
Wasn't it salvaged? Where is it now?

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

Miss England 11 was indeed salvaged, rebuilt and modified. Bottom sheathed in 1/16 stainless steel. In 1931 Kaye Don piloted the boat to a new world record of 103.49mph, three months later he raised it to 110.2mph. Sorry I have forgotten what happened to the boat after that. I have a set of press photographs taken on the day showing the accident on Windermere. Various shots of it travelling down the lake then the crash. I have a detailed set of drawings showing the construction of the boat. I think the same drawings Fred Harris used to produce models. I made a working model using Fred's moulds. His models were for static display. Regretfully I sold the model at a time I was not well.(as a working model it was unique)
BTW It was a single step hydroplane.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I'm reliably informed that she was destroyed by bombing in WWII whilst in storage.