New BBC Documentary

ace_chris

Re: New BBC Documentary

Post by ace_chris » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:20 am

Good to see that there were some positive words about the programmep on twitter by jake Humphrey, the until recently bbc f1 presenter.

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:34 am

I thought the doco was pretty good overall, certainly better than that 'Curse Of Campbell' nonsense, albeit while just re-telling the same old story of course- though hopefully lots of new people watched and were interested who didn't previously know the story, unlike we jaundiced old lot! In fact there were certainly some new folk watching who were suitably impressed, as the visitor stats for the main BBP site show a very healthy sudden spike for Sunday.

The projection thing- which seems to be a staple of a lot of documentaries of late- was just appalling; presumably then there was a meeting where someone said 'Yeah, what we're going to do is keep projecting Sir Malcolm on to a brick wall' and they really thought it meant something artistically...

I cringed a little at Donald Stevens calling CN7 'my baby' and thought it a shame that there wasn't a little more Norris content- there must be some archive of Ken that could have been used? -and likewise, it was a bit Leo-light as well. Tonia's keeping well, I thought.

I'm a tad baffled as to why they would film for hours in the workshop...and then not show the boat at all, and just show her new nose badge and some brief random close ups of our messy benches?!

Good stuff overall though and it would make a good DVD release, perhaps extended with more of the interviews?
'I am not what is called a "civilized man", Professor. I have done with society for reasons that seem good to me.'

Mentallica

Post by Mentallica » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:29 am

Really enjoy'd the programme last night, well worth the watch.
top marks to all involved.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:49 am

I thought it was really well done. For me it was the quality of the photography and production that made the difference. I enjoyed it.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

I have wrought my simple plan
If I give one hour of joy
To the boy who’s half a man,
Or the man who’s half a boy.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:15 pm

Well the rush of interest following the doco has put us through our millionth hit on the website! :D
'I am not what is called a "civilized man", Professor. I have done with society for reasons that seem good to me.'

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:51 pm

If only they'd all left a quid on the way through we'd have neough money to finish the job!
The doco did bring a welcome flurry of donations and sales, though, which is much needed at the mo as we're skint again and facing some expensive rivet purchases for those sponsons. There're lots of tight spaces inside them where we're going to have to use blind rivets and you just know we'll have to use the best of the best.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

captain sparkle

Post by captain sparkle » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:10 pm

Enjoyed that,
the piece of film with the audio was moving.
As Marillion did say-
'to the gasp from the crowd'.

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:45 pm

captain sparkle wrote:Enjoyed that,
the piece of film with the audio was moving.
As Marillion did say-
'to the gasp from the crowd'.
Yes, agreed - really very moving. I thought the overall programme good and some pieces of film were new to me. I am with Mike regarding Ken Norris and Leo - they needed more emphasis. The only other disappointment for me is that the rebuild of K7 got no proper detailed mention. It would have been good to round off a look at the past by looking forward.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:49 am

The only other disappointment for me is that the rebuild of K7 got no proper detailed mention.
On the contrary - by leaving it hanging with the boat obviously out of the lake but no clue as to what had happened to it since they inadvertantly sent the whole world to our website and, better still, to our shop! Can we have another doco next week please?

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:38 pm

Renegadenemo wrote:
On the contrary - by leaving it hanging with the boat obviously out of the lake but no clue as to what had happened to it since they inadvertantly sent the whole world to our website and, better still, to our shop! Can we have another doco next week please?
- OK, I didn't realise the impact had been so high - but its good news - great stuff :D

When you come to a fork in the road, take it