Records week 2013

Terminator

Records week 2013

Post by Terminator »

Monday dawned with a calm rain free beginning to records week however although all were ready to run from 8am the mist refused to lift from the lake. Jim Noone sat in the cockpit for well over an hour perhaps more waiting for the chance to power down the lake. Hats off to him for his commitment in being patient and staying in position in that tiny cramped cold space next to the jetty refusing to wait outside the boat as i understood it. Jim's first and only run as it transpired this week ended in disappointment falling some 15mph short of the mark he wanted. Paul, Dawn I and others are assisting with Miss Albatross again this year after she missed 2012 records week.After a frustration morning with an electrical issue Chris Dakin and Stuart Bird finally tracked down the fault. Late afternoon came and Julian Glegg the pilot and boat owner sat in the cockpit for nearly two hrs awaiting his turn to go out but finally we got the green light. The first pair of runs were in the ball park but not good enough to raise his own 88mph record set in 2010. We elected to back up the quickest of the two runs but we were surprised to be told we were out of time :o

We gathered ourselves once more in the pits and readied the boat. Late afternoon came before Julian was able to roar down the kilo and back again setting a 92.06 mph two way average upping his record :D The team were jubilant .
Tuesday dawned and and the team set about readying the boat once more and Chris had tweaked the power a the prop was changed . Miss A was launched and Julian set of like a express train for the kilo as we all looked on in anticipation of a faster speed only to have the boat go into automatic shut down just before reaching the kilo :( :(

Julian was eventually recovered and we set about readying the boat again but we had fuel supply issue's which dragged on into the late afternoon and eventually we were up and running and went out again only for the gremlins to thwart the attempt once again so we had to go back to the drawing board. Finally after poring over the Rolls Royce drawings Chris and Stuart worked out what was going wrong and the boat was run up ready for Wednesday morning.

Wednesday came and the team set about double checking everything before launching Miss A again. We got the green light and Julian fired the gas turbine in to life once again and set of down the course whereupon she ran faultlessly this time and as Julian returned to the jetty the timekeepers announce we had cracked the 100mph barrier with a two way average of 104.07mph :D :D :D :D the team were ecstatic to say the least and silenced the doubters.

We have Two days left to increase this mark which we hope to do so and raise a few more eyebrows ;) Keith Whittle is the fastest man of the week so far with a two way average speed of 128.57 mph.

One thing it has made me realize this week is that we ain't even done a week with it all it's frustrations and weather so god only knows how they managed to put up with nine weeks worth of frustrations and set backs in 1966/67 :shock: But it has given me an insight of what to expect ahead of Bluebird K7's return to Coniston.

Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
Dominic Owen

Re: Records week 2014

Post by Dominic Owen »

Mike Bull wrote:
Terminator wrote:we had cracked the 100mph barrier
You must have cracked the time barrier too, seeing as your report is about NEXT year's Records Week! :lol: :lol: ;)
100mph seems to be a bit of overkill - we all know they only needed to hit 88 and have a support craft full of gun-toting Libyans. :lol: ;)
Last edited by Dominic Owen on Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Whoops :oops: :oops: that's rushing around again this morning :roll: Mr. Bullfrog if you are around could you change the 2014 to 2013 for me?

Today saw the team ready to go again and Miss Albatross was in the water just before 8 O'clock in readiness to attempt to raise the record further. Julian sat for nearly an hour once again whilst we waited for others to run although we had been given as third in the stack. Finally Julian got the green light and made four runs in all with the 2nd and 3rd run being taken to make up a two way average speed of 106.81 mph :D :D :D Another success but alas this was to be our last runs of the week as this proved to be the limit of Miss Albatross in here current set up. The team has stood down now as there is no point in pushing her any further until upgrades have been made.

The sweet taste of success demands a few celebration drinks tonight me thinks but just the one or two :lol: :lol:
Novie
I've Gone.
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

Being slightly more serious for a second, well done to all involved! 8-) I'd love to see a pic or two, if you have any.
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...
Pegasus

Re: Records week 2013

Post by Pegasus »

News report here including main picture of Julian Clegg's Miss Albatross:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-24758317

Phil
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... crash.html

Not endorsing the Daily Fail in any way shape or form but Keith Whittle very lucky to escape this accident at Coniston records week on Friday 8th November...Chris
malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk »

The safety features on the 'flying' boat worked well and removed much of the need for "luck". The unlucky part was the 540 flip so it landed on its back.

Once records week had concluded, those spectators on the shore at the Bluebird Cafe by the Lake were treated to the sounds of an Orpheus jet engine once again. The main conclusion is that a jet powered hydroplane can be launched and recovered from the usual slipway by the jetties. Next years Coniston Records Week should see the craft as an entry once again - dates are 3rd to 7th November 2014.
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations
captain sparkle

Post by captain sparkle »

Terminator wrote:Whoops :oops: :oops: that's rushing around again this morning :roll: Mr. Bullfrog if you are around could you change the 2014 to 2013 for me?

Today saw the team ready to go again and Miss Albatross was in the water just before 8 O'clock in readiness to attempt to raise the record further. Julian sat for nearly an hour once again whilst we waited for others to run although we had been given as third in the stack. Finally Julian got the green light and made four runs in all with the 2nd and 3rd run being taken to make up a two way average speed of 106.81 mph :D :D :D Another success but alas this was to be our last runs of the week as this proved to be the limit of Miss Albatross in here current set up. The team has stood down now as there is no point in pushing her any further until upgrades have been made.

The sweet taste of success demands a few celebration drinks tonight me thinks but just the one or two :lol: :lol:
Novie
I've Gone.
I know it's a bit late, but as they say, better late than never!
Nice to meet you Novie, had some interesting conversation! :lol:
here's some pics from Thursday
TED WALSH AT SPEED ON CONISTON

Now over 3.1 Million hits on Youtube, subscribers needed! permanent positions available, please apply now!
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Its never to late Captain Sparkle and it was my pleasure to meet you and your mate who enlightened me re- your Interesting name. I must have a look at the website he told me about with your antics on the Isle of Man etc. Great Pics of Miss Albatross, have you got anymore you can share especially one's if you went down to the measured Kilo of Miss Albatross at speed?
Cheers
Novie
malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk »

Mike Bull wrote:Blue overalls, red socks over the top...was our Paul dressed like Donald on purpose?! :lol:
He was just modelling the apparel that BBP members will need to wear when K7 goes on trials in the lake district about that time of year. Just a bouyancy aid missing though ;) .
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations