Michael Schumacher/Formula 1

f1steveuk

Re: Michael Schumacher/Formula 1

Post by f1steveuk »

Not stunning in appearance, but actually quite advanced, not disimilar to the six wheel Tyrrell in concept.

Not one, but TWO Rolls-Royce R types

I saw a side scan a few years ago that looked like it's still under the rubbish tip
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

One of my favourite speed-record machines, is Thunderbolt. I wasn't aware that the car might still be buried.

Digging it up with a view to restoration - if it is still there - would echo Owen Wyn Owen's epic excavation of Babs 40 years after it was buried at Pendine Sands.

Nigel
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Daresay there's a few bits would fix amongst that lot. Go dig it up then.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
quicksilver-wsr

One project is quite enough for me! :D I'm not looking for any more.

Nigel
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

I've been involved with three groups that were all looking to go and locate, dig up, bring back and retore, one of which ibcluded Eyston's grandson, but all have come to nowt!!
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

Renegadenemo wrote:Go dig it up then.
I'll start packing my bucket and spade right now if I can have a test drive when it's done! :D
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

Would you consider looking into the railway world? Plenty of sad rusting hulks around which, while of huge historical importance, don't look likely to be restored in the near future. I realise getting something that big into the workshop would be a tad difficult though! :lol:
Matt in Mid Wales
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I've never understood myself on this one. I've spent countless hours studying and dismantling steam machinery then polishing bits of it up to look at the shiny brass - but only on shipwrecks. For some reason I just can't get into trains.
My only involvement ever was with a train museum that had opened the wrong door on an engine and blown the boiler through with cold air by accident and all the tubes had shrunk at once and cracked the seal between themselves and the boiler end-plate. The museum had the swageing tool to re-establish the seals but the tubes were full of soot and needed to be blasted internally over about the first six inches of their inside bore so I got the job of designing the process. It was a dirty, horrible old heap of iron, as I recall, and I was way too fat to fit into any of its spaces so perhaps trains are not for me.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

Boilersmithing looks a truly horrible job, although that might be due to the fact that I wouldn't be able to bring myself to crawl through a hatch that small even if I fitted. I have nothing but the greatest respect for those poor sods who had to do it as a day job before the end of BR steam.

There are plenty of diesel, electric, or carriage projects about though, it doesn't all involve crawling into boilers! Sadly I don't think there's going to be anything as exciting as restoring K7 or the Barracuda in that field though.
Matt in Mid Wales
quicksilver-wsr

One year on from his skiing accident, Schumacher is said to still have a "long fight" ahead ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30623832

Nigel