Michael Schumacher/Formula 1

quicksilver-wsr

Re: Michael Schumacher/Formula 1

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Very sad news that John Surtees has died. I had numerous dealings with him between 1975 and 1978 and he was never less than a pleasure to be with.

He lost his son Henry in a freak accident a few years ago, and devoted himself to open-wheel racing safety, prior to which he had played an important role in bringing-on young motor-racing talent.

The only man in history to be World Champion on two wheels and four. You can't do better than that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39235608

Nigel
Terminator

Re: Michael Schumacher/Formula 1

Post by Terminator »

A sad day for motor sport indeed. Had the pleasure of meeting John Surtees during the period Paul Hannaford and I were assisting Kevin Wheatcroft with the display of the Railton Mobil Special at Donnington Park. It was there temporarily on display and boy did they display it well, they cleaned it up brilliantly. Anyway also on that day was the unavailing of the Dick Seamen memorial just outside the Donnington collection main building. John Surtees a lovely man with time for everybody, a down to earth kind of guy. He did a lot for circuit safety i.e A Rescue Helicopter on site and as Nigel mentioned his son was tragically killed by a wheel I seem to recall it was that struck him! A freak accident that devastated Surtees but he responded positively by fund raising.
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"