Dick Ransome / pre-crash damage to K7

Richie

Re: Dick Ransome / pre-crash damage to K7

Post by Richie »

I reckon try and unpeal the left hand fairing where the duck dent was, see if there is any hint of it left after the accident and go from there you could then reform it to its pre crash but ruined state. As has been offered as a suggestion The conundrum about leaving it off the boat to show it in a museum case is a toughy.... Usable tin not going back would be a weird step for the team given the ethos that bill has driven into us all over the years...
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Inspector Gadget

Post by Inspector Gadget »

Not wishing to tempt fate and all that but she might not look so undented post lake runs anyway, not that I wish to see any harm to boat or mallards, perhaps after the event have a meeting or chinwag about it.

The fence sitter....
pmc

Post by pmc »

+1 'very clever transparent vinyl "dents", painted b some theatrical chappy'
Richie

Post by Richie »

That is that then..... Nice and easy, you cannot sanitise something that is not there to begin with.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Pegasus

Post by Pegasus »

Mike, wonky screws were intrinsically "Bluebird" and so very worthwhile, bird strikes were undesirable, accidental damage.

Malcolm, could it not be said that by rebuilding K7 in the first place history is being "airbrushed" in a rather major way?

Phil
Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr »

So was the duck dent on the forward or main spar and which one was the seagull dent?
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

So was the duck dent on the forward or main spar and which one was the seagull dent?
Duck in the front spar, seagull in the main spar root-fairing. The resulting shape of the fairing after the duck hit it (or maybe some other factor) caused the whole of the D-shaped piece of the fairing to tear away leaving only a couple of thin strips of material still screwed to the upper and lower faces of the spar.
There's still much shape to b sorted out on the root fairing so there's nothing preventing us from working around where the seagull hit to leave some evidence.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr »

It would be interesting to know at what speeds the duck and gull damaged occured.
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!
Richie

Post by Richie »

And if they were defrosted before hand..
malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk »

Pegasus wrote:Malcolm, could it not be said that by rebuilding K7 in the first place history is being "airbrushed" in a rather major way? Phil
The question is well put and takes us back to the early discussion on what to do with the recovered remains. (That can of worms has long since rotted away in the fresh air since recovery).

As I would not have paid or even wanted to see the major hull section 'as it was' pulled from the lake - (you did not see me in Coniston on that day) - my only concern has been that no plan was in place for this important British metal object (OK Novie calm down) - British Icon. By restoring with as much original fabric to the condition of the morning of 4th January I am content that the story is to be told clearly to future generations and the outward and return runs are not airbrushed or altered.

Should it have been the BBP decision to rebuild K7 to her condition as at say 3rd November, then that would have been acceptable too and the interpretation of the whole final campaign would need to be told (as done by Neil S in his book) in the Ruskin.

All the evidence is there as to her condition on 4th January at 08.45 am and if that is the chosen time then why not stick to it.

Anyway, I want to see how Bill can manipulate metal to form such a dent without harming any wildlife :lol:
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations