Dick Ransome / pre-crash damage to K7

Renegadenemo

Re: Dick Ransome / pre-crash damage to K7

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:42 pm

I would suggest the most appropriate course of action would be to replace both damaged fairings with new-build and then display the recovered fairing (with crash damage repaired but bird damage remaining), close to the port side of K7, along with a life-size contemporary photo of the damage and some suitable explanatory text.
The problem there is that the seagull ding is so lost amongst the rest of the damage that the only story it would tell is one of high speed water damage. If it's dug out then it may as well go back on the boat as one more piece of original tinware.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Richie

Post by Richie » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:37 pm

i say use original material, striaghtened and repaired... no duck ding.

My rationalle is a selfish one....... i dont want folk to look at our hard work and say "Gee they did a pants job with that... its all dented in"

I know K7 bears the scars of her life... she is covered in them, but to float her out there with crushed fairings in my humble opinion wouldnt be to great.
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:04 pm

My rationalle is a selfish one....... i dont want folk to look at our hard work and say "Gee they did a pants job with that... its all dented in"
We're going to get that no matter what because the average punter doesn't understand the correct ratio between rocketry, advanced engineering and 'what have you'.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

mtskull

Post by mtskull » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:56 pm

Renegadenemo wrote:
I would suggest the most appropriate course of action would be to replace both damaged fairings with new-build and then display the recovered fairing (with crash damage repaired but bird damage remaining), close to the port side of K7, along with a life-size contemporary photo of the damage and some suitable explanatory text.
The problem there is that the seagull ding is so lost amongst the rest of the damage that the only story it would tell is one of high speed water damage. If it's dug out then it may as well go back on the boat as one more piece of original tinware.
I'll get my coat. ;)
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:31 pm

I'll get my coat.
No you won't - the idea is sound enough. It's what we did with the air intake skins, sort of.
The originals are full of holes and badly squished so they're home-ported in the museum as a display and the new ones are on the boat. Nothing is wasted.

sheppane

Re: Dick Ransome

Post by sheppane » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:12 am

Mike Bull wrote:Louis Goosens bunging up the hole...

Note how distorted the top right quarter of the jet pipe aperture is! :roll:
Mike, That's actually Tony James on the 5th of November, just before the static test. Same sort of bobble hat though....
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:10 am

Mike, That's actually Tony James on the 5th of November, just before the static test. Same sort of bobble hat though....
Neil, I hope you ceremoniously shoved your glasses up the bridge of your nose as you said that. Mike has demonstrated on countless occasions the appropriate gesture when you out-anorak someone... :lol:

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:22 am

I blame the bobble hat! :lol:

f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:34 am

Glad it wasn't me that pointed out it was Tony!!

As for the "duck dents", well if you replicate them, they are not THE "duck dents" so I wouldn't bother. When I'm involved in car restorations, we don't include the damage, even though we try to be sympathetic and not over restore. I've worked on cars drivers were killed in (racing cars) and have never included any damage. I understand this damage is part of the story, and when setting a time/date for what your aiming at, that IS what you should do, but everyone is right, you'll just be accused of not doing it all.

I did do some work on a P51D, and you couldn't leave dents in the wings for obvious reasons, but for display we had some very clever transparent vinyl "dents", painted b some theatrical chappy, and when on the polished ali', you couldn't tell. Always a laugh to see people's faces as you peeled off a dent!!
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................

sheppane

Post by sheppane » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 pm

Mike Bull wrote:I blame the bobble hat! :lol:
I'm glad my comment was taken in the spirit intended.
Not trying to out-anorack anyone. By the way, the guy behind Tony is John Pett who did 'Price Of A Record'
He is talking to Leo who is on the otherside of the boat. That interview is included in the documentary.
Still can't think of any reason why the jet pipe colling duct on that side was blanked off.

Regarding the duck dent, for what its worth, I would say don't replicate it.
Its unsightly, and if DC had had more time, and the facilities to hand, I''m sure he would have fixed it.
Can't really figure out why they didn't, except the fear that midway through the repair, the lake would turn into a mill pond, and they would miss their chance!

They could have fixed it in the evening, though by then, I guess everyone was really rather tired.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/