Malcolm Campbell's 350 hp Sunbeam

rob565uk

Malcolm Campbell's 350 hp Sunbeam

Post by rob565uk »

The engine of the 350 hp Sunbeam is to be started in public this week after an extensive rebuild:

http://www.beaulieu.co.uk/news/hear-the ... p-start-up

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
Pullman99

Re: Malcolm Campbell's 350 hp Sunbeam

Post by Pullman99 »

Thanks for the heads-up on this event Rob. Beaulieu had it on their website, and it was on local media earlier today, so a very good turnout of enthusiasts - as well as a visiting school party - enjoyed the spectacle. Managed to delay a meeting in London to stop by (excellent reason)!

The Sunbeam's restoration back to its 1925 appearance began nearly 30 years ago as, although the car had been exhibited in the old Montagu Motor Museum, then the National Motor Museum from 1972, it had been shown in the form used at Brooklands by Kenelm Lee Guinness. The later tail, us used by Sir Malcolm Campbell, had been also acquired with the car, however, from its previous owner (whose name escapes me for the moment but they operated a coach tour firm in Hereford) who had raced it at Southport amongst other venues after having also been raced by bandleader Billy Cotton at one time after Sir Malcolm had sold it. The tail was reunited with the car some years ago along with a repaint into what is believed to have been its colour (taken from original paint samples on the tail) when used at Pendine. About 10 or 12 years ago, the uniquely surviving Sunbeam Manitou engine (used experimentally as a type in the Short 184 seaplane) was made to run for the first time since it was demonstrated by Lord Montagu at Goodwood in either 1960 or 1962 (in company with Bluebird CN7). During its initial running, a con-rod chose that moment to let go and resulted in damage to one of the blocks of the V-12. Happily, this was able to be repaired by Formhall's Engineering of Downton in Wiltshire and today was the first public occasion when the V-12 was run for over 50 years. Well done to Doug Hill and all the team at Beaulieu for doing such a magnificent job and for arranging such a superb demonstration. The sight and sound of this unique LSR - and aero engine - survivor is something very special indeed. The car is now off to join Parry Thomas's Babs at Retromobile in Paris next week.

Some pics from today below. If I can figure out a way of adding video, Ill attach it later!

Lord Montagu and Workshop Manager, Ian Stanfield with the Sunbeam 350hp shortly after its first official start-up

Tailpiece!
Last edited by Pullman99 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ian Robinson
Bluebird K7 - the restoration project of the Century.
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

Thanks for the update. The car looks very good indeed - I checked YouTube for video but cannot see any there, so if you have any I am sure it would be enjoyed and appreciated by many. That engine must sound awesome!

Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr »

Not the greatest of footage and featured in our local rag.

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/sir-malco ... ex=1#video
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Ian!! Really!! It's not a Manitou!!! So wished I could have been there, bugger!
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
Pullman99

Post by Pullman99 »

rob565uk wrote:Thanks for the update. The car looks very good indeed - I checked YouTube for video but cannot see any there, so if you have any I am sure it would be enjoyed and appreciated by many. That engine must sound awesome!
Several You Tube videos there now, including one from me from today.

If this works, the link is here:

Ian Robinson
Pullman99

Post by Pullman99 »

f1steveuk wrote:Ian!! Really!! It's not a Manitou!!! So wished I could have been there, bugger!
Well, not quite-ish! Is it more correct to say that M Coatalen's sprint car was fitted with an engine based on the Manitou (which never entered production>??). In any event, this is a unique engine and all credit to everyone involved for getting it running again. There was a good deal of anguish surrounding the blow-up a few years back. Now, there's the need to couple up all the bits that connect the engine to its driving wheels. I believe that the original Sunbeam gearbox was damaged by its last owner before Lord Montagu and when he and Donald Campbell demonstrated it at Goodwood, the car was fitted with an Albion truck gearbox. I totally failed to find out today what all of this entails but I'll add some more later if I can.

Does anyone know the sequence of ownership from Guinness, Campbell, Billy Cotton, etc. I think that the previous owner, who campaigned the car in sand racing events in the UK was called Ralph Aspden and it was from him that it was bought for the museum.

Sorry you missed it Steve. I wasn't able to wait that long today and it was only when watching Meridian Tonight and South Today that I realised that Don Wales had been there as well.

Now, about those two Matable engines on Beaulieu's workshop shelves...
Ian Robinson
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

Many thanks for the information and video. Absolutely wonderful sound!

Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Glorious sound and totally mind blowing would love to have a go :D
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
Stuart Baker

Post by Stuart Baker »

I wonder what shade of blue that is? (***ducks and runs for cover***)