WW1 photo

mtskull

WW1 photo

Post by mtskull »

I happened upon this old photo whilst researching something else entirely. The website was concerned with the history of 3 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force, but I suspect that this particular photo is of a group of RFC pilots, judging by the very familiar figure seated on the left. Can anybody shed any light?
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
f1steveuk

Re: WW1 photo

Post by f1steveuk »

I'm not convinced that is Malcolm, though it looks similar, but yes, Malcolm was in the RFC, and was a ferry pilot for most of WW1 before switching and being commended for setting up supply routes. Leo was also in the RFC as a fitter, at one time, at the same base as Malcolm. It's all in Leap Into Legend, but that was from memory.
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

I had the same feeling when I saw this picture. It didn't look like Malcolm to me, but I could be wrong.

For students of Malcolm's wartime exploits, his service in the Second World War was just as interesting. Check out his involvement with the SBS - forerunner of the SAS. Amongst other things, Malcolm invented a mini-torpedo for use by canoeists on sabotage missions. It seems as if the man rarely - if ever - had a dull moment!

Nigel
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

I wasn't looking for anything Campbell related when I came upon this but I must say that I immediately thought that it was him. I have since made close comparison with several later photos of Sir Malcolm and, allowing for the fact that he would have been 10-15 years younger during the era when these photos were taken, I can't find any features that are inconsistent.
A shame that we shall probably never know for sure.
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Inspector Gadget

Post by Inspector Gadget »

I think there are many features that match, the hair, eyes, jowls, jawline, ears and the confident look do it for me, later photographs have the parting a bit higher ... maybe a fashion statement, I'd risk a tenner on it being him.