50th Anniversary of DMC's "double"

Pullman99

50th Anniversary of DMC's "double"

Post by Pullman99 »

Just a reminder that today - 17th July - is the 50th anniversary of Donald's World Land Speed Record wigth Bluebird CN7 at Lake Eyre.

This event, and Donald's magnificent achievement in extremely difficlut circumstances, has remained a continual inspiration to me persoanlly throughout my life and, no doubt, for many others too.

The first part of a unique "double"!
Ian Robinson
Bluebird K7 - the restoration project of the Century.
quicksilver-wsr

Re: 50th Anniversary (part one) of DMC's "double"

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

It's funny, because I looked at the date in my diary when I sat at my desk this morning - 6am and still getting my bearings - and I just knew today was important, but couldn't think what exactly it was that made a ringing noise in my brain, as there are no birthdays or anything currently looming on my own personal horizon. No anniversaries.

I'm glad this thread has turned up, because - of course - it is a red letter day indeed!

It's been said many times before, but it's pretty much impossible to foresee anyone else ever emulating Donald's incredible feat. The longer time goes on, the more outstanding the achievement seems. Totally stunning.

It's amazing how many people simply associate Donald with the water-speed record. The general population of the country largely do not associate him with land-speed success. A pity - it really is - because he absolutely showed there that he was a match for his father, any day.

Nigel
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

I agree with Nigel completely. And I don't believe anyone will ever repeat the double - either within the same year, or at all. It was and remains an outstanding achievement.

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 »

I agree with Rob whole heartedly. An amazing achievement which i feel confident in saying will never be matched. :D
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..
Pullman99

Post by Pullman99 »

Just a reminder that today - 31st December 2014 - is the 50th anniversary of the second part of the unique "double". Always thought it was cutting it a bit fine, but in the closing hours of New Year's Eve 1964 at Lake Dumbleyung, Donald and K7 set their final record of 276.33 mph.

Always an inspiration to me. Cannot quite believe that it was 50 years ago...

I happened to be in the National Motor Museum last Sunday and, although the central theme of the record breakers display is about the land speed record, couldn't help notice that there is actually no mention whatsoever - unless I'm very much mistaken - of Donald's unique achievement. This would have been an opportune moment for the NMM to give some exposure also to the tremendous work that you guys are doing. Especially as K7 was on exhibition at Beaulieu in the old Montagu Motor Museum days. Possibility in 2015?

Anyway, I will, no doubt, raise a glass to remember this anniversary later on! A very Happy New Year to all at The Bluebird Project and all your supporters.
Ian Robinson
Bluebird K7 - the restoration project of the Century.
captain sparkle

Post by captain sparkle »

TED WALSH AT SPEED ON CONISTON

Now over 3.1 Million hits on Youtube, subscribers needed! permanent positions available, please apply now!
Renegadenemo

Re: 50th Anniversary of DMC's "double"

Post by Renegadenemo »

Yup - been doing our bit right to the last. We'd not quite realised it until very recently but we have a big chunk of Lefty's sponson top so we've been fiddling with that today.
Nice pic', Mike...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
captain sparkle

Post by captain sparkle »

55 years now!!! :o
TED WALSH AT SPEED ON CONISTON

Now over 3.1 Million hits on Youtube, subscribers needed! permanent positions available, please apply now!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

And quite an anniversary of the 67 accident too!
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.