20,000 Leagues Under The Sea - The Diving Thread

mtskull

Re: 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea - The Diving Thread

Post by mtskull » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:32 am

Richie wrote:http://youtu.be/Oq0Fn-AxKTU

Interesting piece on Tanya Streeter, listening to her regarding the record attempt rings a lot of bells and sounds very familiar to Donald.... The perception that once you start you are trapped, not wanting to let anyone down etc etc.

Nearly cost her her life..... This was just before Audrey Mestre died.
I am haunted by those words: "if this is what we can do when things aren't going well, imagine what we can do if things are going well"
Those sound like the words of somebody who is not going to stop until it kills her :(
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.

Richie

Post by Richie » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:05 pm

I wanted to slap the husband..... Putting pressure on, given the state of her ears she probably should have aborted the dive..... Burst ear and severe vertigo at 160m is a recipe for a dead chick

It's scary to think this person can get to that depth and back again on one breath... And for us to do the same we need squeaky gas and all manner of equipment.

At least she had a decent medic on board unlike the Mestre fiasco
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

Richie

Post by Richie » Sun May 10, 2015 1:07 am

Count down to Cyprus trip ! Can't wait, hopefully going to get booked onto a dive for the Zenobia.

As always my ears are my weakness, I had shocking vertigo during my last dive when changing depth it would trigger....

I have been exercising my Eustachian tubes for the last couple of weeks so they open and close very easily at the moment !

I would not wish ETD on anyone, fingers crossed. If I cannot get my ears to work when descending down a shot line, that will rule out every decent wreck off our coast. I tend to manage fine on progressive dives rather than straight down.

mtskull

Post by mtskull » Sun May 10, 2015 9:58 am

Nice wreck, Richie! I hope your ears hold out and you get to see everything you want to.

I'm counting down too; this time next month I hope to be doing this: :)
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Tue May 12, 2015 6:46 am

This could have gone in aviation or here, but as it follows on well from Richie's posting-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... eabed.html

(Beware- it's the Daily Fail, dodgy captions and all. Interesting pictures though)

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue May 12, 2015 10:00 am

(Beware- it's the Daily Fail, dodgy captions and all. Interesting pictures though)
The one that tickled me said something like, see how untouched the wrecks are by all the coral growth. Do they think divers go around scratching off the coral? Nice find, though. And a girl diver too! They were always a rare commodity in the North Sea, which is why I spent so many years single and diving every night. The girl divers in our neck of the woods usually looked like they were born in the sea and scavenged for shellfish with their whiskers.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

I have wrought my simple plan
If I give one hour of joy
To the boy who’s half a man,
Or the man who’s half a boy.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Richie

Post by Richie » Tue May 12, 2015 11:57 am

Awesome, when we going ?

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Fri May 29, 2015 6:01 pm

Wasn't quite sure exactly what thread this would fit under, (ships, aircraft..?) but as it's underwater regardless, this one will do...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-32898376

No sign of a scale there and without one it looks to me like they've found...a canoe?!

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Fri May 29, 2015 10:05 pm

The scale is along the top of the images in slant-range out from the fish. Nothing to get excited about in either image though I'd probably shoot the bottom one a few more times just to get a better idea. It could be man-made or it could as easily be a tree.
C-Max sonar by the looks. I never really liked the fish design. It's too light, over complicated and has its transducers on the outside for some reason so it's nice and easy to snag it but it's a compact system that can be deployed by a couple of people from a rowing boat. There's also things that the software insists on dealing with that it's handy to be able to change manually as you go but the image quality is OK. Shot a car with one in the Mersey one time, clearly identifiable as a hatchback Cavalier in the full-size image.
It's on the right-hand channel near the top.
C-Max Car Shot.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

I have wrought my simple plan
If I give one hour of joy
To the boy who’s half a man,
Or the man who’s half a boy.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Richie

Post by Richie » Sun May 31, 2015 4:27 pm

Well got back from Cyprus.... week wasted, one dive, no wrecks.......sick and fed up now

however you can marvel at the unique finnings of Richie !

ps I know the tank is too low and I know I am slightly heavy. it was too hot to faff about, and i had already been bartered down from 8kg, the instuctor wanted me on 4kg so i met in the middle :)