20,000 Leagues Under The Sea - The Diving Thread

wbjohn

Re: 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea - The Diving Thread

Post by wbjohn » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:51 pm

Renegadenemo wrote:Must have item for any self-respecting diver...

http://www.foulmouthshirts.com/New-shir ... -shirt.htm
Missed that opportunity, with my dad just retiring his fins this year, bet he would have loved that t-shirt for the pub.

Terminator

Post by Terminator » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:37 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well what did I expect when i clicked on the link! Excellent :D :D
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"

Richie

Post by Richie » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:48 pm

On a semi serious note.... What type of diver is he, other than the stated type on the T shirts ?

Is he PADI new school, take only pictures leave only bubbles, or is he an old Pirate salty sea dog like Bill ?

Mixed gas ? air diver ?

Granted you say he is an instructor.

How about some new slates ? new knife ? New mask ? (Latter is best if he is there)

Gear gulper, gloves usually get worn out quickly, new rash vest, fins ? Lift bags, DSMB,
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:00 pm

They've finally got the bell from the Hood...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-33852723

Mentallica

Post by Mentallica » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:53 am

Richie wrote:On a semi serious note.... What type of diver is he, other than the stated type on the T shirts ?

Is he PADI new school, take only pictures leave only bubbles, or is he an old Pirate salty sea dog like Bill ?

Mixed gas ? air diver ?

Granted you say he is an instructor.

How about some new slates ? new knife ? New mask ? (Latter is best if he is there)

Gear gulper, gloves usually get worn out quickly, new rash vest, fins ? Lift bags, DSMB,
thanks Richie. PADI 'new school' I assume. Gas I have no idea.

Richie

Post by Richie » Mon May 09, 2016 8:46 am

This wreaks of Dave Shaw....except the rescuers actually managed to survive and surface.

Cave diving has never appealed to me, swimming through silty boggy feted caves to look at pretty walls ?

The furthest I will go if my ears and sinuses get fixed (project underway) will be to move onto a breather, you can keep your caves thanks all the same.

I saw some other footage of a group doing film work for natural history when one of the divers became CO2 retentive, he had not packed his scrubber correctly re using old sofnolime and got into difficulties, luckily not at any major depth or in an overhead environment.

Dangerous lark this diving !

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:54 am

Interesting, though the 'find' sounds a bit inconclusive to me-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-36906604

Richie

Post by Richie » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:48 pm

I have my doubts..... Small motor boat, and look at the size of that anchor !

mtskull

Post by mtskull » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:47 am

Dived this yesterday, 28m depth and less than 100m from the shore off Calvi. Not my photo but you get the drift.
Didn't get as much time on the wreck as I would have liked, as one of the group used his air up twice as fast as anyone else and ended up sharing with the dive master while the rest of us still had enough for another half hour. Still, the weather is good and it will still be there tomorrow...

Things I learned yesterday:
1) Don't buy a cheap Chinese dive light (actually not even very cheap at €49 without batteries). Mine was rated to 60m but at about 5m it began to let water in, was dim and flickering at 20m and gave up the ghost entirely shortly afterwards.
2) Even a small electric current will electrolyse seawater into hydrogen and oxygen: as I boarded the boat after the dive, the blinkin' thing exploded, scattering batteries and bits & pieces everywhere.
3) The French are well versed in the art of robbery: the chandler who sold me the light that very morning, refunded the price of the light but not of the batteries; presumably he thought that I could retrieve them from the sea bed and get some further use out of them... :roll:

Strangely, there is no trace at all of the rear fuselage and tail of the B-17; not even on some wider sonar images that can be found on the web.
Maybe it broke off during the ditching and sank immediately, leaving the rest to drift to where it is now, or a possibly a vessel has snagged it with an anchor and dragged it away (as happened to the cockpit roof a few years back).
Nobody at the local dive centre will admit to any knowledge of its whereabouts but I get the sense that they know something that they are not letting on.....

Fancy coming down here with Predator and having a look, Bill?
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.