Public interest lecture/talk

quicksilver-wsr

Re: Public interest lecture/talk

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Sorry, Bill - and IMechE fellow!

I didn't read all of Bill's earlier post - assuming it to be "workshop banter" for the BBP gang only - so didn't notice that Bill has offered to do a K7 talk.

Great that this all worked out.

(Yes, there are some Young Engineers groups - which is wonderful - but in the social-media age, going along to actually see a speaker do a "talk" is generally less popular than it once was.)

N.
IMechE_West_Cumbria

Post by IMechE_West_Cumbria »

Well its good to hear that we don't have such a bad reputation!

Nigel - I didn't know you were involved in the BBP, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised given the subject. I will be at the annual dinner in June and am looking forward to hearing your story first hand.

The local IMechE groups don't communicate with each other particularly well and combined with the turnover of committee members, this can mean we often forget or simply don't know that someone has only recently given a talk down the road! That said 2003 is quite while ago and I could cheekily suggest that you're due for some more practice...

Feel free anyone to PM me if you are willing

Matt
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Thanks, Matt.

To clarify, I'm not directly involved in the BBP - but I am a frequent contributor to the BBP forum, which is an important distinction.

And it will go without saying, I hope, that I am a fervent supporter of the BBP's work.

I came on here a few years ago, basically to defend my own project from people who had picked up the wrong end of the stick about certain things. So I came on here to put the record straight, but in the process I have found myself getting drawn in!

I've enjoyed it, though - having never been on a forum in my life prior to this - and now I'm part of the picture, among lots of friends. Also just a tiny few who would love to see the back of me, whom I just delight in annoying by still being here.

You people in the IMechE do a splendid job. At talks over the years, I have met so many enthusiastic engineers with fascinating stories to tell of their careers. It constantly opens my eyes.

Nigel