Don Woolley

Renegadenemo

Don Woolley

Post by Renegadenemo »

Sad to report that another of the original K7 team has passed. I am far from qualified to write any sort of tribute to Mr Woolley except to say that the morning he spent in the workshop with us was as much a privilege as when any other of those who went before us came to visit and it was a pleasure to meet him. Perhaps Novie or Neil can fill in my woeful blanks and pay proper tribute.
Don Wooley.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Terminator

Re: Don Woolley

Post by Terminator »

Sorry to learn this Bill I will have to give Nora a ring later this evening. You just never know whats around the corner although Don was a good age even older than Mr. Dodds I think. A sad day indeed a true gent and a very nice person. How did you come by this information Bill? Just strange Nora did not ring me although she is probably devastated :(
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Hi Bill
Not going to pull any punches here as I am really angry this evening having established the full details of how sadly Don was taken from us! It appears a National Express coach ran him over in Chesterfield Town centre which should not have been in the town centre at that time of day it would seem? Don was an active 87 year old who I recall in a conversation not so long ago he announced as you do he had just returned from a trip to Antarctica !! He was a keen sailor having been in the Merchant Navy and was a member of Donald Campbell's team at the very beginning in 1955. I first encountered Don and his partner Nora on 11th September 2001 the day before the Celebration of Donald Campbell's life/Funeral for clarity. As Chief Usher Nora had learned I was the person to talk to re attending the funeral the following day. We were at the Cemetery going over things when Nora came over and introduced herself and said she was with a gentleman who wished to attend the Church tomorrow. As you can imagine we had a number of people wanting to gain access to the church on that day and Gina had said to me I was to use my discretion regarding people showing up whom were not on the list of people invited but may have links to her Father. Anyway I will always remember the following in my minds eye as Nora introduced me to a quietly spoken 6ft gentleman. "This is Mr. Don Woolley Nora said and he would like to attend the funeral tomorrow" and without any hesitation and before Nora could continue I replied "Not a problem" I said. Don's face just lit up :) as he was obviously shocked but relieved by my immediate response to his request without any hesitation whatsoever! He had obliviously thought it was not going to be easy gaining entry but I recognized him immediately even before he pulled out a couple of items to prove his identity. One of those moments that stay with you if you follow me.

If somebody had been bothered to send the email you got earlier or picked up the phone or even just spoken to me I could have attended the funeral of Don Woolley who was laid to rest yesterday. I am really angry at not getting the chance to attend his Funeral as he did Donald's but thats not your fault old boy. I have spoken to Andrew Woolley this evening Don's son whom sent the one and only original email to one person hoping they would let everybody know! Obviously the family were and are in a state of shock at this time as you can well imagine, its one thing to see a loved one fall ill then pass away but this was a total shock to them!! Don would just disappear with Nora on trips all over the world and not tell anybody he was true gent and i am so glad he got the opportunity to visit the old girl but sad he will not see the final result of K7 taking to the waters once more.

However Bill I have a request from Andrew and his son in their hour of grief. Would be at all possible to visit the workshops just for an hour or so to see the boat their Father worked on all those years ago?

Cheers
Novie
Time for another pint :evil:
richw_82

Post by richw_82 »

Hi chaps, sorry to hear that the gentleman who passed was one of the original K7 team.

The accident happened in my home town and in an area where there is quite a lot of normal public transport and also the National Express stop. Its also a pedestrian nightmare, being far too many vehicles, far too many blind spots and all too few crossing places all in one short stretch of road. Not trying to defend the bus company here... just stating what a nightmarish bit of road it is.

Condolences to the family, and to all those Mr Woolley leaves behind.

Regards,

Rich
Last edited by richw_82 on Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Thanks for shedding some clarity on this town centre Rich. Perhaps something may yet come of Don's tragic death and this "pedestrian nightmare" as you call it may get sorted. Although I doubt it with local government and cut backs? Thanks also for your kind condolences I'm sure the Family appreciates any words of comfort and kindness at this sad time. I know Andrew views the site and has intentions of joining but perhaps a little time may be needed before then.
Cheers
Novie
AndyW

Post by AndyW »

Hi everyone, as this is my first post.
I would like to thank everyone for their kind messages about Dad.
I am very glad that he got to see the boat, but a shame he will not see it run.
I will definately make the trip to see her in the water again.

Thanks again

Andy