Bluebird K7 on show

Earlgodwyn

Bluebird K7 on show

Post by Earlgodwyn »

Hello,
I as a boy was taken to Great Western Motors car showroom in Vastern Road, Reading Berkshire to view this magnificent craft,
I believe it was approx. 1957 as my father was working at Elliotts of Reading at the time as a Jig and tool draughtsman doing work for Vickers Armstrong and their Supermarine Swift Mk 7.
May I ask if this was a one off or was Bluebird K displayed elsewhere at this time ?

Bob Collier
Roger Wilco

Re: Bluebird K7

Post by Roger Wilco »

There are some photos here http://kentphotoarchive.com/kpa/warpeac ... genumber=7 of Bluebird on display in a garage in Maidstone, Kent in 1958, so I guess it was 'on the road' around about the time you mention Bob.
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Hi the boat is still in its 1957 format having returned from the unsuccessful attempts in the states on Canandaigua and Onandago lakes in New York State. The American flag and English flag clearly on Bluebird’s nose as is the Mobil emblem near to the spray deflectors. Can’t quite make out the other badge on the nose but I think it may have something to do with the craft K7 was being launched from in Onandago from memory?

They are probably from late November December 1957 or early months of 1958 as the boat would be altered once again with the addition of the small tailfin before heading off to France to go on show at the Brussels expo around May 1958 from memory before heading to Lake Bourget for another attempt to raise her own record. However this attempt was also to prove unsuccessful.

Bluebird K7 would once again return to England at which point her upper fairings on the sponsons were raised covering in the forward hump that had come about when the front spar was raised in 1955. This made the sponsons more aerodynamic and in my opinion looked a whole lot better. The early 1958 configuration I often refer to as Thunderbird 4 as in a photo taken in France K7 is seen sitting on a trailer on display and so resembles T4. Lovely pics really enjoyed seeing them thank you.
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr »

I wonder why the canopy is opaque?

Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

We wondered that too and considered that maybe it isn't the finished canopy and that it might be the buck around which the canopy was subsequently vac-formed.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Nah they have just put windowlene on the glass to white it out so you cannot see in the cockpit.

"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Jordangbr wrote:I wonder why the canopy is opaque?

Hadn't noticed that Jordan at quarter to one this am. Could it just be to do with transporting the boat as the boat had already had the cockpit canopy altered by this time from the original 55 set up. The blown canopy is depicted in the 239.07 m.p.h poster stood up in front of K7 her record as it stood at the time. And looking at the pics again today has something happened to the paintwork on the port sponson? Looks like the paint has been damaged or stripped off by something thats run down just forward of the hump? Or could it just be the lighting?
Great pics anyway
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr »

Fetch the de-mister from the
e-type will you Jimmy?

Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!
Paul.mccaughtrie

Post by Paul.mccaughtrie »

Jordangbr wrote:I wonder why the canopy is opaque?

It looks like a cover over the canopy to protect it through transport.Looks like it has a latch or lock on the front locking it down.
Stafford
rob565uk

Re: Bluebird K7 on show

Post by rob565uk »

I think it's the actual canopy we are looking at, but just whitened from inside. What appears to be a latch is actually the small runner wheel that supports the nose of the canopy as it slides.

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't