David Tremayne's Stay Gold

Mike Bull

David Tremayne's Stay Gold

Post by Mike Bull » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:10 pm

I thought it was about time we mentioned this here- many people will by now know of our involvement with David Tremayne and his bid to beat the UK land speed record with his car Stay Gold. In March last year down in Darlington Bill straight away spotted a problem that had stopped Gold's Viper engine from running, and got a tune out of it that same day for the first time in three years. Since then we've helped out and fettled the beast back up to full power, including the memorable occasion (4th Jan, as it happens) when a regulator failed at 86% and put full engine pressure back into a fuel tank, which duly ruptured and ruined the cup of tea I had with me in the cockpit! I think there and then David thought his project was due another lengthy setback but he wasn't used to the way we work...we had the tank out that same night, welded up and tested the following afternoon, and I took the engine to 102% that evening.

Following that I made a new dashboard for the car while Bill carried out some safety mods up the hot end, Checkie helped me with some wiring and John and Richie led the way with building the car a tail fin. Dave and Gillian did bits on it, too. Afterburner tests left the tarmac on the pan at Carlisle airport a bit sticky and then came Elvington last week; now working as part of David's full team Bill really came into his own with the engine, absolutely nailing an afterburner issue and giving David the car that clearly has the potential to beat the current record of 301mph; we were thrilled when we saw him roar off with full burner all the way down the runway.

Shame he didn't park it so well at the other end of course, but both DT and Gold are made of tough stuff, and It'll Fix.

Very, very proud of my little involvement- quite good this record breaking malarkey, innit?!

A few pics-

Flame show at Carlisle airport-

vlcsnap-2017-08-10-10h27m31s257.png

A very happy DT at Carlisle-

20170809_151239.jpg

Gold's new dash made by me, and spot the good luck charm we put in. (Anyone else notice that David's peak speed was the same as Donald's first run on Jan 4th?!)

20170809_114706.jpg

Gold looking great on Elvington's runway, not long before the final run-

36656786685_128f3188d6_k.jpg

Team shot-

36518442891_ee9d921476_k.jpg

(Last three pics- credit James Bearne)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Richie

Re: David Tremayne's Stay Gold

Post by Richie » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:00 am

We need to take the tails off those bolts holding the screen in place.
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

midlife

Post by midlife » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:32 am

Richie wrote:We need to take the tails off those bolts holding the screen in place.
That's a classic response RichieImageImage

I must say I'm really envious of all you guys & gals, your abilities, skills and dedication are second to none.
Must be awesome to be involved in all these interesting & historical projects!!
Cheers
Wayne

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:23 pm

I was a bit dubious about playing with a jet car. I've always viewed them as, well, a bit amateurish and dangerous and as for all this gratuitous popping and banging and sheets of flame, that should be reserved for people who think Subarus are cool cars.
But here was a chance to work with a different gas turbine and it was interesting to catch and kill the gremlins one by one until we got to Friday afternoon and were able to give the machine full power. And then it fell over! but, nothing daunted, not much repair work needed and there's oodles more performance to be extracted if it's needed so we'll keep at it...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes

Voltaire's apology when he wrote a long letter: "I didn't have time to make it shorter."

midlife

Post by midlife » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:45 pm

If you need someone to clean your spanners (nearly wrote tools gulp) I'm your man Bill!
Cheers
Wayne

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:36 pm

Cracking piece by David for The Independent-

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/moto ... 10541.html

jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:00 pm

What a brilliantly written piece!
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..

ted.walsh

Post by ted.walsh » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:54 pm

not seen the video before.... so it all goes wrong as he gets off the gas, is it the precession that changes and gets him or was it something else?

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:47 pm

not seen the video before.... so it all goes wrong as he gets off the gas, is it the precession that changes and gets him or was it something else?
No definitive answer but it would appear to be a combination of the setup of the car and the met conditions at the time. Just one more gremlin to catch and kill. Most importantly, both car and driver are in good shape.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes

Voltaire's apology when he wrote a long letter: "I didn't have time to make it shorter."

thunderer

Post by thunderer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:34 pm

according to tat article (linked above), The incident was invoked by the parachute mounting position, which then lifted the rear wheels....

Sounds a tad dubious yet at the same time, it also sounds quite feasible too oddly enough.

I have heard of such incidents with R/C jet powered rails (I know, wrong terminology), though they were not running at over 250 mph.
Just cos my username is Thunderer, doesn't necessarily mean I SHOUT !!
"A vehicle is designed to be used, restored or otherwise" A personal response on the question "you have just restored it, why use it?"