Chemetall Chocolate Sauce, and other delights.

Davidss

Chemetall Chocolate Sauce, and other delights.

Post by Davidss »

With an interest in Series 2 Land Rovers, I see enquirers in that world asking about the best way to deal with potential steel & aluminium electrolytic corrosion. I've read the Diary, and the pictures of the day, but perhaps haven't retained all the detail.
What I have retained, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that you use the chocolate sauce supplied by Chemetall, and that this not only inhibits electrolytic corrosion, but also bonds strongly enough to give significant added strength. I'm not sure whether that bonding is good enough to call it a 'glue', or if the bonding is just the natural result of a substance designed to always remain tacky.
I suppose I should add the question at this point. If someone (repairing an S2 Land Rover, obviously) makes a mistake, and wants to separate the joint again, is there someway of getting the sauce to release it's bond?

Note that question presuppose a positive answer to the main purpose of this post.
Is the Chocolate Sauce available in suitable (small) sized quantities for private users?
I did look at the Chemetall site, but it seems very much biased towards usage in Industrial quantities, and however much the Bluebird Project may be a Private undertaking, I suggest it also has elements of Industrial usage about it.

Moving on, I anticipate a negative response, that Chemetall are not geared up to supplying small quantities.

So, with an eye on the need to generate Project income, and the example set by shirts, hats, overalls, etc, could the BP get authority to repackage the Trade supply into smaller Series Land Rover sized packs for sale to individuals (not by the gross to resellers)? What is the shelf life of the sauce?
To tempt you, there are probably other markets besides the Series Land Rover world, and you are already discussing your next project. It's not hard to envisage your continued exposure to Chocolate Sauce.

To add another venture, the safe but effective paint stripper might also be a rewarding BP product line.

I think that will do as a first post, although it does seem almost standard to finish by saying 'or do I have to come and sweep the workshop floor'. :-)

Cheers
Renegadenemo

Re: Chemetall Chocolate Sauce, and other delights.

Post by Renegadenemo »

Playing with dodgy chemicals in the comfort of our own workshop is one thing but selling them on to unsuspecting Land-Rover owners might be our undoing. Besides, if you go to any aerospace supplier, LAS Aerospace is as good as any, and look up jointing compounds you'll find suitable applications to stop the dreaded dissimilar metal rot. The one we use is a material called Naftoseal and it's what Airbus put their fuel tanks together with. Technically it's not an adhesive and where we have parts with a small contact area such as where outriggers go onto the flange plates on the frame with about a dozen rivets these can be parted without too much difficulty but where the contact area is large you'd need a hammer and chisel. We do have a chamical to get it off again but it's sulphur based and stinks to high heaven. If you use a PRC or yellow chromate jointing compound, available from all good aerospace suppliers... you'll have no problem. One thing we do find ourselves doing for Land-Rovers is repairing the aluminium. Seeing as we can make or repair just about any shape or grade of the stuff we're offered the occasional chunk of wounded Land-Rover.
Incidentally a bloke I used to work with in Russia whose job it was to wine and dine prospective customers on Ford's behalf now works for Land-Rover and he called us the other day to offer the use of a Defender with which to tow Bluebird. I told him we might allow ourselves to be seen in a couple of fully loaded Range-Rovers if we could squeeze it past the enviro-mentalists.
Getting back to chemicals the paint stripping gloop is a possibility and Trevor's famous 'pink slop' is awesome. It looks like irridescent, pink mayonnaise and the paint just jumps off and runs away at the sight of it. Quite extraordinary. I'll ask him whether it's available in gallon cans as everything from Cemetall seems to appear in big blue drums.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
graham

Post by graham »

i have a 1968 series 2 landrover in mint that would love to pull her in to the water please dont use a defender keep the age right the only thing is she's geeen
‘The HLF believes the crash is the most important aspect of the boat's history’

Absolutely, and the highlight of Elvis’ career was dying on the bog…hehehe
Davidss

Post by Davidss »

Ha, serves me right.
So I go looking for Naftoseal and come to this range of 45 different products!!!

One reason for the interest in the product you use is that I've chased other recommendations and found dire warnings about them being carcinogenic, and the tin contents drying out, thus giving a very short shelf life.
Started with Duralac Jointing Compound DTD 369B, then was referred to MASTINOX, then there was COR- BAN, or PR1436GA1/2 SEALANT made by PRC -DOSOTO.

So I just thought I'd try to use a product from a company who is supporting a project I would like to support anyway. Isn't that what sponsorship is all about?
Oh well, as they say, it's a grand life, until you weaken.

Thanks for your comments by the way.
Cheers
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Duralac is a barium chromate compound and that's not nice. I'll get you the spec on the Naftoseal if you like, it's a sulphite and, though I'd not recommend you eat it, it's not as nasty as barium.

Davidss

Post by Davidss »

Renegadenemo wrote:... I'll get you the spec on the Naftoseal if you like,...
That will be good, thankyou.
klingon

Post by klingon »

Renegadenemo wrote:Incidentally a bloke I used to work with in Russia whose job it was to wine and dine prospective customers on Ford's behalf now works for Land-Rover and he called us the other day to offer the use of a Defender with which to tow Bluebird. I told him we might allow ourselves to be seen in a couple of fully loaded Range-Rovers if we could squeeze it past the enviro-mentalists.
-Sorry Bill-K7 and trailer would be Waaay to heavy to be towed by any Landrover product-without having the exact figures available but taking an informed guess-even a Rangerovers GVM-(gross vehicle mass) is below the 80% minimum of K7's gross weight and would be a gross overload on the vehicle,there are actually caravans available which beat Rangerovers capabilities and must be towed by a commercial vehicle-despite the fact that they are fully capable of hauling the unit-just law I'm afraid! :geek:
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk »

I am sure Bill will be aware of matters such as the Road Traffic Acts ....... but just in case, the Operations Team will make sure that all activities, including moving the 'big blue boat', will be legal and safe. Now offroad is a different matter for that period photo opportunity ............ All we need to avoid is that muddy field.
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

We towed her - well, most of her - on the public highway with a Daihatso Fourtrak one time and almost got arrested. No, I think we'll have a big, juicy truck this time.

klingon

Post by klingon »

If you need it for a period piccie-just so happens I got access to a 12 ton DUKW amphibian-6 wheel drive and right time period-gimme a shout!
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"