Return to the Water

midlife

Re: Return to the Water

Post by midlife » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:12 pm

I’m at a complete loss to understand how this situation has occurred.
Absolutely anyone with a modicum of common sense knows that it’s the right thing to do to run the old girl on Conniston, before she takes up her residence at the Ruskin.
I’m not a solicitor, I don’t respond well to authority unless respect is earned and I’m told at work that I suffer from a severe case of northern bluntness.
One thing I am very good at though is getting opposing factions to reach an amicable agreement.
Is there anything I can do to help Malcolm & the team out?
Cheers
Wayne

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:19 pm

if Coniston not going to allow any running is there any point displaying k7 at the Ruskin?
Don't even go there - it certainly won't be going into the Ruskin until the proving trial is completed. If there's any lengthy delay we'll just convert part of our factory into a small museum and open it to the public until everything is sorted, bit like the Jim Clark Room. That would be simple enough.

http://jimclarktrust.com/
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

DamienB

Post by DamienB » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:20 pm

Absolutely gobsmacked that there's anything other than a permanent red carpet extended to the K7 crew. You just know the people responsible will be a handful of individuals, or one influencing a herd of sheep, bereft of common sense, vision, or indeed brains that are anything other than cells of mush addled by years of local bureaucracy. A nation of shopkeepers, I think not, a nation of naysayers and arse covering cowards mired in their own petty concerns and scared of their own shadows.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:23 pm

Absolutely anyone with a modicum of common sense knows that it’s the right thing to do to run the old girl on Coniston
There you go - you just answered your own question. There's no common sense, so unless you know of a process to instil it in those who have none I doubt very much you'd do any better than the maestro of getting things done himself, our Malcolm.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Healey nut

Post by Healey nut » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:53 pm

I sure hope it doesnt take the same length of time it took for the legendary Jim Clarke to get the recognition he rightfully deserved and the appropriate funding etc for the museum .
The whole of the K7 project should be given priority status to let them run the ceremonial run on Coniston its only fitting to do it on Coniston .
But then again as the saying goes common sense sometimes isnt very common
Thats not an oil leak , its my patent pending Old British Sports Car rustproofing system . :mrgreen:

Judithjohnson7

Post by Judithjohnson7 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:13 am

My 7 year old son was inspired on a visit to coniston many years ago by the magic of bluebird, of bravery, ambition and engineering to achieve the impossible. We have followed your journey ever since. He is now an almost 19 year old apprentice engineer.
We were soooo excited to hear she was soon to take the the water. Then crestfallen to find it wouldn't be Coniston! Could we get a petition up? Would it help? Then I find it might not be in the school holidays when the proposed Coniston run next year is debated.
To whom it may concern can I say this. The world is a strange place now compared to my childhood. Kids sat in isolation playing games with virtual friends. As the proud mum of two glorious children the bluebird story inspires a can do attitude, an aspiration to achieve, an urge to go out into the world and marvel at what can be done. It would be awful to think another generation of kids couldn't be involved in this marvellous story.. sorry! Rant over.
I think the whole team should be proud of what they have achieved thus far and we thank you for keeping the dream alive xx

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:15 am

I think the important thing to remember here is that it's not a case of the proving trials never happening - they will - it's just that it's unlikely to be on Coniston Water unless something drastic changes so we shouldn't let this take our eyes off the prize. After all, Scottish lochs and English lakes look exactly the same when you stand on the beach. You just might have to drive to Scotland.

Loch Fad is stunning...

IMG_1003.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Techteam

Post by Techteam » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:26 am

What I find surprising, is the fact that everybody seems surprised by the attitude of the LDNPA. Having been involved in a very small way when the 10mph speed limit was first discussed on Windermere, the public enquiry and the implementation with the subsequent gutting of the marine industry on the Lake. Remember they were prepared to cut their own income drastically from the registration scheme in order to get their way. Anyway we won't drag all that up again. While I hate to admit it Bill I feel your idea to find an alternative venue is probably wise as an unelected blinkered committee is historically unlikely to respond to common sense, reason or the financial benefit of Coniston and the Lake District.

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:04 am

I've seen all this ebbing and (not) flowing over the last however many years, and sadly none of it is a surprise.

As I see it, you have two distinct groups here. 'Coniston' tends to get banded about as a catch-all word as if it is a single entity that has all the power, but, that's not the case. What Coniston has is a small mish-mash of people, some of whom who mean well but are largely powerless or ineffectual, or those that think they have some power but don't really. One gets the very real impression that for the most part, the village is just sat there on it's behind waiting for Bluebird to turn up and bring everyone a tidy boost/profit. Now, absolutely, we want the village to prosper from the boat going home, but, it's the sitting there part that is the problem.
Time and again we've had people from the village come over here and anyone new, with any kind of can-do attitude, rapidly seems to have the life squashed out of them by the system over there, and you never hear from them again. Or, there's those that turn up obsessed with the money side, convinced that we're on the make somehow and it's all 'nudge nudge, wink wink, go on, tell us what you're getting' kind of a thing.

To counter some of this the Bluebird Event group (or whatever it's called) was formed, and Malcolm is better placed to comment on this, but as I see it from here they've achieved absolutely nothing.

For far too long we've been countered with the 'when' question in reply to us pointing any of this out, but that doesn't cut any ice- you can have a plan in place to be implemented when necessary- you don't need to know the 'when' to make the plan. As Bill keeps saying, they've had the same 10+ years that we have. We've never stopped work, once, in all that time; week in, week out, every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday, and a hell of a lot more besides for some of us, particularly Bill.
Serious commitment to the project is a life altering decision- I moved 300 miles and have put ten years into it. Barry drives a 6 hour round trip, every single week. Jordan travels from Barrow. Novie from Coniston. Checkie from Merseyside. It just goes on. Even those of us that are local are making an active choice to sacrifice home/family time to see the job through. Now for sure it's also become a lifestyle and it's also a family in its own right and we always have a good laugh, but, the commitment to the end game is without question so imagine putting so much in, and then being faced with the lichen-covered stone wall that is Coniston!

So, that's the one group involved. The other of course is the LDNPA, who seem to want to claim the credit for the bylaw change and act like a wounded party when in fact, they can't/won't see the bigger picture and expect us to sit and fill in some forms and ask very nicely if they wouldn't mind allowing us on 'their' lake one wet Thursday afternoon in the depths of winter when no one is there watching anyway.

Frankly, it's all bollocks.

Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:25 am

The following is from the published minutes of the Coniston Parish Council meeting of 18th December 2017. I am posting it here as some of those following the BBP forum may not be used to Council matters.

351/2017

Bluebird Event Working Group
To report on the meeting of the Bluebird Event Working Group
Bluebird Project would like the proving trial to take place during school holidays to be age inclusive.

RESOLVED: Cllrs would like to see the event take place outside of school holidays as it would be unmanageable during this time with the number of visitors already here.

To agree how the Coniston Parish Council will support the Bluebird Event Working Group
The Working Group are looking for an event manager and the Parish Council needs to agree if they want to be the lead organisation.

RESOLVED: Cllrs agreed to continue to pay for the Clerk’s time in attending the meetings and associated admin work along with room hire charges but do not want the Parish Council to be the lead organisation.

(These words and the remainder of the CPC meeting minutes on 18/12 were accepted as a true and accurate record by Councillors at a following meeting - Malcolm).
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England