Isle of Bute

Renegadenemo

Re: Isle of Bute

Post by Renegadenemo »

The sponsons aren't stuffed with soggy expanding foam this time around so they're much lighter and the water in the cockpit was blasted in there by propelling the boat through its own spray using a jet engine. We just hadn't spotted it until we got a bit of spare time at the games. No setup at all...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
thunderer

Post by thunderer »

i had wondered if that may have been the case regarding the sponsons. thanks for taking time to answer the question.

in regards to the cockpit water ingress, I take it, at present, there is no way to stop that occuring?
Just cos my username is Thunderer, doesn't necessarily mean I SHOUT !!
"A vehicle is designed to be used, restored or otherwise" A personal response on the question "you have just restored it, why use it?"
Richie

Post by Richie »

When I swam out and climbed onboard, I may have dragged a bunch of water in with me too Bill.

As for next year I will need dates ASAP so I can book the time off, it’s going to be difficult for me as all. Politely, and with much respect and from me personally speaking for myself and not the team....... We need Coniston to get real now, give us a date in the warmer months or of our choosing and let’s get this thing done, or if not, bow out (with red faces and much embarrassment) so we can arrange somewhere else.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

When are you guys planning on the all-out record attempt? You made it all look so flipping easy, and safe!! Obviously not with K7, but 12 months, a set of designs, and a welder, you can do it, easy!!!
ted.walsh

Post by ted.walsh »

Ummm, no such thing as an easy record. Mincing along at 130 in something verified capable of double that is one thing, trying to nail an elusive long standing record where everyone who has tried has eaither failed or died at over 320 is another.
but i wouldn’t disagree that the combined experience of buildinding and operating such a craft shows the team is very capable of an attempt indeed.😎
zaskar

Post by zaskar »

I know you guys get asked this a thousand times but please bear with me. :D

I came over last Monday and whilst having a FANTASTIC time (apart from pushing mother up that flippin' track in her wheelchair! - before we found the causeway! :lol: ) I was devastated not to see her run due to the fuelling issues. Would you believe we passed the hire van full of fuel as we left Rothsay dockside on the last ferry home!!!!! :cry: )

Anyway, I've got the chance to come over again for this Wednesday afternoon and all day Thursday...............just to see her run.
I know it's late in the day and I know you've no crystal ball, but what do you think the chances are?
Worth lashing out for the not insubstantial cost of a motorhome on a ferry ?
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

Wise words indeed Ted! And, "Where there's a will (or a Bill!!) there's always a way!"
Ranzaboy51

Post by Ranzaboy51 »

I was thrilled to see Bluebird this afternoon, although I had to leave before she got underway (if she eventually did). My daughter Julie was producer of a BBC documentary 'Scots at Speed' back in (I think) around 2004/5 and interviewed Bill and Gina for a section of the programme devoted to Bluebird and Donald Campbell, who was very proud of his Scots heritage. He had been my boyhood hero, and I've read every book, and watched every piece of film I could find. Hearing about the crash on 4th January 1967 was one of my 'JFK' moments. I remember it so vividly.

I recall Julie telling me how helpful and friendly Bill and the crew were to her as a young film-maker, and it was so nice to see the team today talking and engaging with me and a few other Baby Boomers at Loch Fad.

Thank you so much, and congratulations on an unbelievable achievement.

Very best wishes

Duncan
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

After arriving on Bute Thursday afternoon & getting to the Loch in enough time to see her last run. All I can say is what a job. As good a living memorial to all concerned than any Spitfire is to the few.
Had a closer look at her today & chatted to Bill & Malcolm. Keep fighting guys, you deserve to see a lot more than having her locked in a dark museum for eternity.
K7 is alive & needs to be kept that way👍
Andrew453

Post by Andrew453 »

Can I just say a big thank-you to all those - Mike, Malcolm, whoever - involved in keeping the Twitter feed going this last couple of weeks. It has been a real god-send for those of us unable to get to the Isle. Now looking forward to Bill's next diary - should be an entertaining read!
But that's it team, your nice, quiet, relaxing holiday is over now... :D
PS You made me do something I said I would never do...join Twitter!