Out of this World.......

Rotterdam1953

Re: Out of this World.......

Post by Rotterdam1953 »

Sorry for tagging along as this thread may have come to an end but there has always been something on the transcript that has baffled me and it seems that no one else has heard it the way I have. Neither have I seen it printed anywhere.
Steve assures me that by the time us mortals were allowed to hear the voice recordings, the BBC had hacked away at them to such a degree that we all lived with the understanding that what we actually heard, was actually said.
"I've Gone!" has been proved to be "I'm Going!" ( I still disagree 100% with this one) which leaves us with my own mystery.
I am confident that immediately before Donald says, "Getting a lot of bloody row in here" he says, "Can't see much" but it seems like - as Steve says - that he changes his mind mid-sentence.
I hear it as, "Can't see much, getting a lot of bloody row in here"!
Does anyone concur?

Arthur
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Sounds like,

"Geting a lot of bloody row in here... can't see anything."

That's from a 1st generation copy from the Corporal that the BBC haven't been near.

And he definitely says, "I'm going"

I'm sticking with the AAIB on this one - they're used to deciphering the cries of people about to die a horrible death
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 »

hi all, have to differ with you on this one bill. ive played the final moments over and over many times, to me it definatly sounds like "ive got the bows up!.....ive gone! perhaps donald had realised that despite his efforts and deploying the water brake, he had used up all his options and had as he said "gone". in david tremaynes "behind the mask" grahame ferret states that when he was in the CN7 at lake eyre, following a run he could give the readings of all the instruments in the cockpit at any time during the run. he remarked that it was "way beyond my comprehension that somebody could do that, the full test pilot bit" perhaps donald realised that he wasnt just "going" and that this time he really had "gone"?
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I really don't get this, you know. Donald very clearly uses a two sylable word, which 'gone' obviously isn't. On that basis alone the odds favour him saying 'going' and I'd still argue that 'gone' is not a natural thing to say in a dynamic and far from conclusive situation, it's almost past tense. You didn't hear the Apollo 13 astronauts saying, "Houston, we're going to die a horrible death."

jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 »

what i think we all need to hear is one of the fabled "cleaned up tapes" perhaps then we could lay this to rest. I still stand on the side of the "ive gone" fraternity. sorry bill
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..
jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 »

i think this stems from how people hear things: ive listened my ears off and it sounds like "ive gone" to me! the debate rages on!!!!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I'd say the original recording is honest enough. I've always been wary of 'cleaned up' data. I'm not saying it's necessarily unreliable. My flying headset is very good at cancelling out aircraft-type noises so I can hear my companions perfectly but I have post-processing software that can can clean up sonar data to show you a shipwreck on the seabed any way you want to see it.
I asked the AAIB guys what wonderful, high-falutin software they used to enhance and clean the audio in order to decipher what's said and was most disappointed to discover that all they do is clip out the unclear bit and listen to it repeatedly when compared to a similar piece of the recording where what's said is indisputable. I'm sure they use plenty of clever software in lots of ways but it all comes down to human interpretation at the end of the day. Presumably they have lots of practice and training on tapes gone by before being let loose on the real deal but it works for the aviation industry. I really ought to try and organise something official - a listen-off between the NTSB, CIA, FBI, MI-5 and AAIB. The winner gets a Bluebird Project mug.

Rotterdam1953

Post by Rotterdam1953 »

The thought of Bluebird coming unstuck from the lake must have crossed Donald's mind many times but quite whether he pictured that it would occur as it did, may have been another thing. In the severest of situations, the human mind can behave totally at odds at what the previous occasions may have been and this is when 'heroes' and 'villans' are made.
After the sinking of the 'Herald Of Free Enterprise', many strories abounded of utter selfishness and selflessness and I doubt that any of these passengers had any training beforehand. The recent TV programme of the London 7/7 bombings, highlighting victims and heroes - showed the same phenomenon.
During his record runs, Donald may have used the same jargon time and time again. I see that 'galloping over the top' was one of them and if there were others, then they have not been noted here on this forum.
Quite what went through poor Donald's mind at the exact point when he realised that K7 may not have safely returned onto her planing shoes, will only be a matter on conjecture but as I have explained above, his concious and subconcious will have slipped into a completely different mode. His survival instinct in the form of boat handling will have remained fully intact. Secondary - and in the face of imminent death - the language structure he may have used before, was overtaken by another. All you have to do is read the complete transpcript of Space Shuttle Challengers's crew final moments - and they had nearly a minute to 'regain their composure' before they hit the sea.
There is a difference between "I've Gone" and "I'm going" and he can be excused for saying "I'm Gone", so we can meet halfway here.
Yes, Bill is totally correct when he says that the last word sounds as if it consists of two syllables but the word "Gone" has been split into two here, making it sound like "Goh-hon". His voice see-saws up and down, the 'first' syllable travelling up the first wave, followed downwards and the 'second' syllabe back up the second wave. Complicated explanation indeed and I have no doubt that the authorities mentioned who deal with aircraft accidents, are the highest of experts in the field of voice recognition.
DC's final words are: "I've Gone - Ugh!"
Rotterdam1953

Post by Rotterdam1953 »

Mike, I am aware of these so-called internet fakes and have read them. None of them come near the Black Box transcript that NASA retrieved from the bottom of the sea.
DMCK7 Fan

Post by DMCK7 Fan »

Last edited by DMCK7 Fan on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.