Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Richie

Re: Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Post by Richie »

mark-f wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:12 pm Any comments?

Cracking image of the boat there.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
wbjohn

Post by wbjohn »

Richie wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:39 pm

Cracking image of the boat there.
Agree, the Getty site has some great shots, I've even bought one of them on a sheet of Aluminium :D
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

Re the original post. It is not much of a surprise that the issue has arisen now. I have followed the Campbell/Bluebird story for close on 60 years, long before the kind of 'mass hysteria' generated by publicity in the last 18 years attracted people into it. During the last 18years there has been much said by many people as to what was going to happen to K7, many like me believed she was going to be rebuilt run a couple of times then housed in The Ruskin Museum. The Bluebird project is a company limited by guarantee registered at companies house with four named officers including Bill Smith and Mike Bull.(They are personally liable to pay £10 each if the project got into financial difficulty and folded) According to news reports in the past Gina passed ownership over to the Ruskin Museum however the very recent BBC report says K7 is effectively owned, their words not mine, jointly by the project and The Ruskin Museum. Because the project is a registered company with four officers its not owned by any one person in the project nor any one person at the Ruskin which is a trust.
What does all this mean- well it means blokes in suits getting paid wades of money may end up getting richer if the Trust and the project cannot agree what happens next.
Hopefully the difficulties between the project and the Ruskin Trust are sorted out and we do not witness K7 becoming a pingpong ball.
It would of course be very interesting to learn for certain who actually owns K7 as opposed to news report which are often misleading or inaccurate. In simple language used by lawyers the question is 'who has legal title to K7 Bluebird' as opposed to any moral right of ownership.

BTW As an engineering restoration project- outstanding painstaking work.
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

In terms of ownership, companies house lists 4 Directors, none of which appear to be connected with the Ruskin museum.

Whilst it would be unfortunate if the Ruskin museum lost out on K7, as I believe they are "stuck in the middle", clearly the LDNP are light years behind in terms of flexibility and willingness to welcome K7 back to Coniston.

I think it is fair to say that K7 behaved almost perfectly throughout her time on Loch Fad and has gained an enormous new following. Further live running is only going to help preserve the Campbell legend alive and keep it in the public eye.
Healey nut

Post by Healey nut »

Cant wait to read Bills reply to this and the reasons given why Bluebird went to Bute for testing ?????
Pass the popcorn its going to be entertaining.
FWIW I want to see Bluebird as a living breathing running exhibit and if that includes world tours that help with its running and upkeep then Im all in .
It CANNOT be locked up and left to gather dust thats not why it was restored in the first place . Also it being locked up does little to help preserve the legacy and history of the whole Bluebird story .
Thats not an oil leak , its my patent pending Old British Sports Car rustproofing system . :mrgreen:
midlife

Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Post by midlife »

Please chaps, let’s not get drawn into this facebollocks negativity.
I back Bill & the team 100% with any decision they deem necessary, I certainly wouldn’t be asking for comments, I think you can find plenty of comments on this forum already .
Cheers
Wayne

Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 »

Any comments...? (on the BBC piece) Well, yes.

Pretty average modern piece of journalism, which any British Tabloid might have done. Had hoped for better from the BBC, but clearly not.

Quite obvious attempt to play off what they (BBC) see as opposing factions - the BBP vs Coniston (as the Ruskin Museum). Doubt that what is quoted from either side is really true, or complete. In my view, it helps neither side, as published. But I guess it was never intended to. Gee thanks, BBC.

I hope there may be something said by the BBP, in response - but they may well wish to say nothing, as anything said or written could potentially be picked up, by journalists, again and used - as these no doubt well mean comments were.

Such is modern life.
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-45194976
Please folks, don't be wound up by somebody attempting to create a story out of nothing.

If you look at the highly selective quotes from various parties, you will find nothing that hasn't already been said before; in particular, I see nothing about the quote from Bill that is incompatible with the view that he has expressed all along, i.e. that Bluebird will go on display in the Ruskin Museum but must be maintained in full running order and come out for a proper run every now and then.

The "journalist" responsible for this piece appears to be trying to twist the facts by suggesting that, if the proving trials are not held on Coniston Water, this somehow means that the boat "will not be returning to Coniston" and therefore will not go on display in the Ruskin.

Maybe Mr. Smith will have something to say about this in due course but meanwhile, please don't pay undue attention to this artificial, media-created storm in a teacup.

PS: I originally posted this before seeing the highly perceptive analysis by engine711. You hit the nail upon the head, sir.
Last edited by mtskull on Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

Those nasty horrible journalists...At least it makes a change from Brexit, Burkhas and Borris...And it certainly makes you think "what if..."