Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

JfromJAGs

Re: Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Post by JfromJAGs » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:56 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:16 pm
I feel at times we all need to remember Donald Campbells words during a TV interview. I believe it went something like this, 'this is not put on for a public spectacle' His goals were for a much more admirable reason than that. Having been a follower of the Campbell story for 60 years, rather than someone who has jumped on the bandwagon, I feel very sad that DC's K7 is once again shrouded in controversy. There is now a public spectacle and its not good.
See what he really said: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONH-QsW ... u.be&t=135

This was said in the context of the question why he was going for the 300mph record - the reason was "not for public entertainment", but because he wanted to archieve a goal. A goal that was important to him - keeping the record in British hands. But this was only part of the story. Another reason was to get publicity from this new record, so he could raise the interest for his new land speed project. He hoped to get sponsorship after the publicity of the new water record. You need to keep in mind that his profession was record breaking - which only works if he receives massive(!) public interrest. So there was always publicity involved - think of the parade in Adelaide in June 1964 - where more than 200.000 people gathered to see him. So althought it was not purely done for public entertainment - there were also goals - publicity was his life too.

Running the restored K7 again is nothing of this. It is only done to honour Donald Campbell and his archievements. Not only for the British but for everyone world wide. Noone of the BBP group will use the publicity to get any money out of it or make a living from it. In fact these people invest their own money and a huge amount of their spare time into it. It is entertainment for those who witness the runs, yes, but in a completely different way than what DC ment when he talked about "not for public entertainment". This time its for enthusiasts of past leading technology, maybe even to create new interest into real technology again - not only into so called social media and virtual reality.

I can't see anything wrong with running K7 as a living machine once a year and having her rest in a museum for the remaining time. Keeping her alive adds so much to the value of the experience and the memory of DC that everyone should be deeply grateful to those who put their effort into this project.

BR,
Joerg

Healey nut

Post by Healey nut » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:34 am

Very very well said .
Thats not an oil leak , its my patent pending Old British Sports Car rustproofing system . :mrgreen:

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:03 am

Very very well said .
I would like to second that. Thank you, Joerg.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:38 pm

Interesting reading quotes about what Donald would think about recent activities. Go back many decades to what he said if an accident occurred 'Donald stays with the boat'. If someone had put it to him that after an accident the boat would be recovered and rebuilt to be driven by someone else as a form of public entertainment one does not have to think too hard to conjure up his reply.

The situation as it is today must not be allowed to continue month after month year after year. A resolution must be reached that satisfies those who originally contributed towards the project and the building of the Ruskin extension on the basis of the information offered at that time to attract that support.

Fairly obvious I am a lone voice on the forum but I am happy to stay and provoke those of a differing point of view into having some fun at my expense.

Healey nut

Post by Healey nut » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:46 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:38 pm
as a form of public entertainment
So are you saying would should close every musuem and banish all historic artifacts never to be seen or heard again ?
The BBP team has emphatically said over and over and over repeatedly infinitum that they want her to be displayed at a time when kids can see and hear and learn and be EDUCATED about the whole K7 story and just possibly some of them will be inspired to be our future engineers or world record breakers themselves .
Thats not an oil leak , its my patent pending Old British Sports Car rustproofing system . :mrgreen:

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:57 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:38 pm
If someone had put it to him that after an accident the boat would be recovered and rebuilt to be driven by someone else as a form of public entertainment one does not have to think too hard to conjure up his reply.
I hesitate to put words in his mouth, but personally I think he'd be humbled and grateful to be remembered by the sight and sound of his machine living on.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:05 pm

Interesting reading quotes about what Donald would think about recent activities. Go back many decades to what he said if an accident occurred 'Donald stays with the boat'. If someone had put it to him that after an accident the boat would be recovered and rebuilt to be driven by someone else as a form of public entertainment one does not have to think too hard to conjure up his reply.
in point of fact, the 'Donald and boat staying together' thing had nothing to do with there ever being an accident and is more usually (and likely more accurately) applied to the dying days of 1964 when friends were pressing him to abandon his attempt on the double and to leave Australia for home.

In the event of his death he left the boat in his will to Leo with instructions to carry on the good work and continue to show off K7. What was it Gina said on the banks of Loch Fad last August.

"Hey, Dad. I wish you were here to see this for yourself..."

As for a resolution - that could all have been wrapped up long ago. 9 months in the museum, 3 months on tour. Just needs the paperwork signed. And, of course, we need to finish building the boat.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Richie

Post by Richie » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:59 pm

I suddenly feel like this thread has rewound back to three or four months ago....
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

Richie

Post by Richie » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:23 pm

Each to their own, all opinions welcomed and discussed fairly.

However I will abstain from hence forth as I personally feel we are raking over old
ground again, we need to look forwards now instead of constantly backwards.

The crud about Donald would have like this or that, or said this or that is nonesense, no one knows except him......and if he were alive today his opinions may likely have been different to that of 1967.

Top and bottom of this gig is simple.

Boat has been restored by a small dedicated team, the boat is co owned by the PM of that team and the Ruskin..... it’s up to those individuals to decide what happens next.

Gina’s desires often get overlooked even though she is the direct blood descendant of Donald....Gina wants to show our hard work off and raise awareness about her dad, it’s as simple as that.

9 months on display keeping warm and dry 3 months living and breathing, it’s a small ask for 18 years of graft.

Peace.
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

Techteam

Post by Techteam » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:02 pm

Sorry, just a matter of interest, So did Leo then deed the boat to somebody else on his death or did in effect he never take possession because it was at the bottom of Coniston and was never passed to him by Donalds estate ? If nobody can answer then that's fine.