Bute - 30 days on (and counting)

Malcolm Ops

Bute - 30 days on (and counting)

Post by Malcolm Ops »

As the whole of the month of August has swept by so quickly it has taken thirty days to remember to thank many members of the public who travelled from all corners of the world, even from Rothesay and the immediate surrounds :lol: , to see the Bute 2018 training exercise.

Members of the public who, having watched the crew at work in the marquee or on the slipway or who watched Bluebird K7 go out on to the water of Loch Fad, then came over to the safety line for a chat and to take pictures. Many then asked why there were no cash collecting buckets placed all around.

It is a BIG THANK YOU to all who handed to myself and colleagues cash donations towards the BBP and to those who brought gifts, pictures and cards. [Being from the south of the main UK isle I had to be educated as to the sweetmeat called 'tablet'].
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
Richie

Re: Bute - 30 days on (and counting)

Post by Richie »

I cannot believe its been that long already ! What a fantastic effort by all concerned, the public were great too !

One thing I have noticed since we have been spat out of the other side of our 2018 training, is the team seem to be even closer now ?! We were close to begin with but there has been a lot more hugging and general caring of each other going on lately.

read into that what you will !

I guess when a group of people embark on a mission together in the face of an established overt doubt from "some" of the masses, only to come through it even stronger on the other side, is bound to bring them closer together..........I suppose hugs and back pats are appropriate.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
VdGGfan

Post by VdGGfan »

A huge "thank you" to team Bluebird for bringing K7 to our beautiful island.
I am not a native Brandane but have lived here for well over 30 years and I am sure quite a few here would agree we sometimes take the local scenery for granted.
The island always looks good on TV, but the coverage, especially the drone footage of Bluebird running on Loch Fad, was quite spectacular. This sort of event really attracts visitors and contributes to our local economy.
Also we were treated to a free show! I am sure many people would have been happy to pay an (even nominal) entrance fee - just a thought.
As for myself, I am the proud owner of a 50th ann. polo shirt purchased from your online shop, which I am proud to wear. Must admit I have become a bit of a Bluebird geek and continue to follow the project online with great interest.
In the meantime I can see you have a great deal of work to do before she is ready to be put back on public display, wherever that may be.
Bluebird will surely be welcome back here. One thing is for sure - Bute was buzzing for a fortnight in August and that will linger long in the memory.
Thank you all once again.

Best wishes for the future,

Douglas
alang2

Post by alang2 »

Hi we had seen that you were going to Bute and having never been there before it became one of the best excuses to link history and a bit sight seeing - but the day we were able to see hear and watch your team and Bluebird that week was a great privilege and also not one of your team ignored any questions that the public asked - and there were many - great project and great team - haste yea back again as there would always be a welcome in Scotland for you all
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

In Phil's picture Bluebird K7 is just about to be transported down a one way street! When I looked up the high street, as the crew got alongside the shop with the white façade boards, past the last pipe band, the roadway was filled with people side to side and as far back as I could see. They do know how to produce a parade in Rothesay on Bute Highland Games day.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

In Phil's picture Bluebird K7 is just about to be transported down a one way street!
Having driven around that bit of one-way road all week and seeing which way the parade was headed I did wonder whether we were going to turn right where we were supposed to but the crowds had lined the street all the way to the harbour so, guess what... The local cops just shut the street so we'd not meet anyone coming the other way and on we went.
I mean, can you imagine! There'd need to be meetings about who to invite to the meetings to argue over closing that 200 yard stretch of road for ten minutes and then it would have to go to county council level and be put to public consultation with an environmental impact assessment, etc. etc.
Not in Scotland - just shut the road.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
rich1608

Post by rich1608 »

Mike Bull wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:50 pm There really aren't the words for the welcome we got on Bute- it was very humbling.

8J1A5014.1.jpg
(Pic- Phil Evans)
Think how much money that lot spent in the local shops, hostelries, B&Bs etc... Well Coniston and the surrounding area would get that many times over. We live in hope!
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

It is about time the BBP crew held a meeting to decide if the Project Director has established the correct number of meetings that will be needed before Operations hold another meeting.

Of course the meeting that would have to take place to agree the agenda for the meeting in question could take decades too.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

Mike Bull wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:05 pm Remembering Bute and some of the fantastic people there that helped us out, we've revamped our team page- check it out!

http://www.bluebirdproject.com/index.php?id=20
There are some pretty stern faces in the picture gallery.

I think most of us had a laugh and a smile at some time or another when on Bute. Especially when the photographer bounced off the spar fairing of a big blue boat and was later set adrift in 'number 27'.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
Richie

Post by Richie »

Lots of serious faces there

There isn’t a serious one amongst us !!

Meeting could be good, as long as it is accompanied with pizza.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."