Coniston visit

Drewski

Coniston visit

Post by Drewski »

Hi

i'm planning a wee trip to Coniston ( first time visitor ) for me and the good lady.

Can i ask your advice as to where is the best place to stay for a few days >? the Sun Inn or Black Bull or somewhere else ?

Would I be allowed to go and see the Boathouse where Donald kept Bluebird and made his final journey from ? or is this place private ?

Can you reccomned any places to visit of K7 / Donald interest within the area.
This is a total K7 trip for me & i cant wait to go and see Coniston.. any advice would really be appreciated... and i may even make a wee trip to North Shields ( bringing Jaffa Cakes and tea bags ) to see your good selves !!! is Saturday the best day to visit the workshop ?

cheers
Many Miles away, there's a shadow on a door, of a cottage on the Shore, of a Dark Scottish Lake.....
bluebirdsback

Re: Coniston visit

Post by bluebirdsback »

I would recommend a small but friendly guest house the orchards. I dont have the details to hand but i am sure they are on the net. Lovely breakfast too. It is directly opposite the Ruskin museum where you will find all manner of Bluebird stuff including the tail fin if we have remembered to return it, the original engine, and the famous bellend intake from the engine. They also have display cases full of Bluebird stuff. A visit to the Bluebird cafe is also worthwhile on the edge of Coniston.
Enjoy your trip

Rob
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong
bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

P.S Yes you are allowed access to the pier behind pier cottage
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong
klingon

Post by klingon »

And if you ask Vicky niceley she might gie ye a peep at K7's new hoose through the back!
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

Some places to visit in Coniston;

The Sun, Bull and Crown to be tried, not only for the ale but also for their K7 and Across The Lake Pictures.

Lakeland motor museum for K3, '35 Bluebird car and K7

Coniston post-office - Donald Campbell merchandise for sale

Pier Cottage, but not sure if it's private now so might need to check

Gondola trip oop Coniston just to get an idea of how bloody long and wide it is, I think there are a few references to Bluebird durring the commentary

Along the opposite shore to the Bluebird Cafe, the remains of one of the timing posts from the 67 attempt still exists

If you get time, a trip over to Ullswater well worth it but I don't think there is too much in the way of Bluebird/Donald Campbell stuff

You know what mate, best leave er at home! ;) Chris
DMCK7 Fan

Post by DMCK7 Fan »

ace_chris wrote:
Along the opposite shore to the Bluebird Cafe, the remains of one of the timing posts from the 67 attempt still exists

If you get time, a trip over to Ullswater well worth it but I don't think there is too much in the way of Bluebird/Donald Campbell stuff
While in Coniston you can also pay respects at DMC's grave.
The tourist information centre have a nice new bluebird related window.
That timing post is a heck of a way down on the opposite side from the Bluebird Cafe, so beware.

Over at Ullswater there is the memorial marker and if you go into the Glenridding Hotel (Best Western) ask to see the Campbell library, there are plenty of things to see and read in there. ;)
Also some nice pictures of the 1955 record in their restaurant too.
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

Forgot about the Glenridding Hotel, oops! :roll:
What do the tourist centre got in the window?

Also just remembered that Donald Campbells original headstone is mounted near the Coniston boating centre (near the Bluebird cafe)...AND there is the memorial on Coniston village green. There's got to be a market for Bluebird themed guided tours around the village... ;)

Ah...this is making me come over all misty eyed and reminiscent!

Chris
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Is the Pier and Pier cottage signposted ?

it would be ideal if there were a map listing Pier cottage - Time markers - etc etc

I take it the road leads to the Time marker or is it a walk along the shore - and if so how do i know when i get there ?

i.e. is it the 2 sets of time markers indicating a start and finish points ?

any advice would be appreciated,...
Many Miles away, there's a shadow on a door, of a cottage on the Shore, of a Dark Scottish Lake.....
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

Hi Drewski,

If you head out of Coniston on Hawkshead Old road (B5285), keep Coniston Water on your right , and Pier Cottage is about half mile on the right hand side. There used to be a small wodden sign with 'Pier Cottage'. If you go out on the Gondola or one of the Lake cruises I think it just skirts the bay in which Pier Cottage is located.

Hope someone else can help out with the marker location, but basically its on the Eastern shore so keep on the main road from Pier Cottage. Its a metal stake about 6 ft high, on the edge of the Water, but to be honest it looks looks quite unspectacular!

Hope this helps,

Chris
jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 »

hi drew, there is a public footpath which follows the path of the drive to pier cottage. if you follow this it leads to the bluebird cafe, where you can enjoy a bottle of "bluebird bitter" by the lake side
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..