Off Topic- Boys Toys

Renegadenemo

Re: Off Topic- Boys Toys

Post by Renegadenemo »

I remember being told the story of the little dust explosion some time ago. Was this the car in question?
No, that was one of my Cerberas. Every car I've ever owned I've pushed it to the max to see how fast it would go. Every car except for that one because it filled with fibreglass dust at a shade under 200mph.
The Speed-12 was rescued from oblivion at at the TVR factory where it was about to be cut up (we basically stole it) and it languished alongside K7 for several years before being loaned to the late Carl Spencer as an ornament for his reception area at work and then, following Carl's untimely death, we returned it to the estate of Peter Wheeler who died at more or less the same time. I've no idea where it is now but it was a fun thing to have around.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
blackandblue

Post by blackandblue »

MY heart sank for a moment then, CUT UP! Gulp!

Thanks for the details Bill, appreciate it. Shame it's not there anymore, would have loved to have seen one in the flesh... Although, I'll be honest, I would be even keener to see Bluebird! The Speed 12 would have just been a massive bonus though! I would have been in heaven.

Do you let anyone come and see K7, if say, they make a donation to the project?

Thanks for all the information, at least I got to see the pic of the Cerb. Do you have any others Bill, that you wouldn't mind emailing to me?
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I didn't even have that pic, I think it was Rob who sent it over. Rob, you got any more pics of the purple thing?

bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

Not sure but will look through me pics when i get home tonight.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong
blackandblue

Post by blackandblue »

That's very kind of you, would really appreciate it.
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

I don't mind admitting that I'm getting a little confused now :?

The comments on here prompted a bit of Googling, which produced a lot of info about the "Cerbera Speed-12" and lots of images of cars that look nothing like the one in Rob's pic. I know I'm missing something but I can't find what.
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...
blackandblue

Post by blackandblue »

Apparently, there are two types of Speed 12s... Correct me if I'm wrong. I think there is the 'Cerbera' Speed 12 and also, the car known just as the Speed 12. Two fairly different looking cars I believe.
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

That's what I thought originally, and then Google tried blurring it all into one.

I suspect the answers to this and many other questions will today be found at the bottom of a steaming mug of strong coffee! :D
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

There were two cars named Speed-12. The purple one we had was the original used at the motor show, etc, the last of three prototypes, and then there was the Cerbera version that had the same chassis and V-12 lump but was loosely a Cerbie.

Richie

Post by Richie »

well after being given a heli off John the other week, i kind of got the bug back to get another serious model heli, i had a look on ebay last week where a chap was selling this Raptor 50 nitro heli for 250 quid (complete with radio kit, starter, fuel, chargers etc etc) the heli is about 1k's worth as there are number of performance upgrades (rotor head, tuned pipe and manifold, carbon main rotors) the story goes that he bought the heli as it looked good, but realised (having never flown) it was somewhat tetchy alas he was frightened to fly her and she sat on a desk for 6 years.

its been about 11 years since i have flown a serious model heli and was shocked how quickly my fingers remembered the sticks... i noticed when flying that there is something out of kilter as it should not wobble / vibrate as much as it is.... I have checked the blades which are tracking perfectly so my next theory is the main mast...if it is...then the guy has clattered it prior to selling. anyways big boys toys so thought i would post up ! My eldest son is also flying so we are sharing this and the electric one given to us by John (which is being rebuilt)

here is some footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uI4rIfSeQ4

forgive the shakiness early on, Nathan was cold (and a bit intimidated... the heli is about 4ft long)
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."