Nomadic, Titanic & other historic vessels

alslad

Re: Nomadic, Titanic & other historic vessels

Post by alslad »

Nice photos Mike. The ones with the 'ghost' ships are particularly thought provoking.

I've done the Titanic experience in Orlando a couple of times and thought it was bloody fantastic! They have guides portraying characters from the time (we had a lady traveller one time and a shipyard worker another, but they seemed very clued up on things when questions were asked). There was so much there I struggle to remember, but there was a large viewing area with 'life size' props and anchor, and I also remember taking a pic of my kids at the bottom of 'the grand staircase'.

Would be nice to get over the water to see the Belfast take on it for comparison
Treat life's problems like your dog would... if you can't eat it or sh*g it, just pee on it and walk away
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Apologies if I have said this before on this forum but these days the closest you can get to one of the Olympic class vessels (without getting wet) is to visit the White Swan hotel at Alnwick. When the RMS Olympic was scrapped, the panelling from one of the lounges was salvaged and the room recreated within an extension to the building, now known as the "Olympic Suite". OK, the carpet, furniture and cutlery may not be genuine White Star Line stuff but it makes for an eerie and interesting experience nonetheless.
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

White Swan hotel at Alnwick.
I'm pretty sure it's the 1st class smoking room. It's a magnificent room. The headquarters of a local paint manufacturer was also fitted out with Olympic panelling and such. It was stripped out and sold a few years ago. Then there was an old farmer who died up in Northumberland some years back and his barn was found to be crammed to the rafters with stuff from the ship. I remember seeing the doors from the 1st class dining room being dragged out and some rather nice gimballed reading lamps so there's quite a bit of material still surviving.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
MattWillis

Post by MattWillis »

Renegadenemo wrote:Then there was an old farmer who died up in Northumberland some years back and his barn was found to be crammed to the rafters with stuff from the ship. I remember seeing the doors from the 1st class dining room being dragged out and some rather nice gimballed reading lamps so there's quite a bit of material still surviving.
There are a few original 'Olympic' bits in the new Sea City museum in Southampton - the panel of 'honour and glory crowning time' from the 1st class stairway (sans clock), as well as the painting of 'The Approach to the New World' that was in the 1st class smoking room, a wardrobe in one of the recreated cabins, White Star branded crockery and various smaller items. The only actual bit of the Titanic (if you can call it that) is an ornament made from one of the discs punched out of the hull plating to make a hole for a rivet. Not surprising as most of the material recovered seems to be in that well known centre of maritime heritage, Las Vegas.
Visit my blog Naval Air History at http://navalairhistory.com/
MattWillis

Post by MattWillis »

Mike Bull wrote:Lovely piece of carving, even though the original pale English oak had been painted white, which is better admittedly than the pale hospital green that much of Olympic's woodwork ended up painted in- such as this window from the Gymnasium seen here at the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum amongst other bits and pieces from the ship-
Eeesh. What shade is that, Eau de Nil? Or just good old-fashioned Hint de Vomit?

I should be grateful so much material survived I suppose...

Sea City is OK for those who haven't taken it in yet, but it's very much along the 'interactive learning experience' lines rather than my favoured format for a museum, i.e. 'lots of old stuff to look at'.
Visit my blog Naval Air History at http://navalairhistory.com/
alslad

Post by alslad »

The 'recreation' grand staircase from Titanic experience..
IMG_0178.JPG
It is alledgedly a faithful reproduction with the exception of the 'acorns', which have been carved as closed as a mark of respect
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Treat life's problems like your dog would... if you can't eat it or sh*g it, just pee on it and walk away
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

It is alledgedly a faithful reproduction with the exception of the 'acorns', which have been carved as closed as a mark of respect
What kind of a daft idea is that? Am I missing something about closed acorns?
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Richie

Post by Richie »

why go through the pain for re creating it to not bother with a key feature ? seems nuts
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

alslad wrote:It is alledgedly a faithful reproduction with the exception of the 'acorns', which have been carved as closed as a mark of respect
Should it perhaps read "...which have been carved as closed because no bugger has the experience to do them open these days"? :lol:
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...
alslad

Post by alslad »

Renegadenemo wrote:
What kind of a daft idea is that? Am I missing something about closed acorns?
Was about 5 years ago when I last went, so can't remember exactly what the interpretation board said, but it was something about symbolising being dormant?? Christ knows really!

Will see if I can dig out the tour guide and post more detail

Does seem a strange form of respect, especially since the exhibit is (or used to be) owned by G. Michael Harris - wasn't he the one who was accused of desecrating the wreck when 'salvaging' artefacts?