Donald Campbell's Road Cars

Wallis

Donald Campbell's Road Cars

Post by Wallis »

I know Donald Campbell had a series 1 E-Type at the time of his demise but can anyone shed light on his previous cars? I believe he once owned a Jensen Interceptor.
sheppane

Re: Donald Campbell's Road Cars

Post by sheppane »

Wallis wrote:I know Donald Campbell had a series 1 E-Type at the time of his demise but can anyone shed light on his previous cars? I believe he once owned a Jensen Interceptor.
In no particular order and by no means an exhaustive list, an AC Ace, 4.5 Litre Bentley, Aston Martin DB2, Aston Martin DB3, Jaguar XK 120, Jaguar XK 150, Mercedes SL, MK1 Jaguar, Radford Mini Cooper, Aston Martin DB4 GT, Jaguar E-Type 4.2, Morris 1000 Traveller. I'm not aware of the Jensen, if he did own one it would be a 1950's model, not the more famous version which was introduced at the Earls Court motor show in November 66.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
klingon

Post by klingon »

Wasn't an Interceptor it was a CV8-remember a photo in the owners club mag when I owned one of DC sitting in a light metallic blue one same as mine (what other colour do you think he would buy?) :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
sheppane

Post by sheppane »

Mike Bull wrote:Did Donald actually own the Morris Traveller then Neil? I just assumed it was the Goosens' own vehicle, but perhaps Donald bought it for their use?
The Traveller was the 'jack-of-all-trades car, without doubt used by Louis and Julia but owned by DC and used as well by Leo. There are stories of a Ferrari, but I have never personally seen any evidence, but It would not surprise me. The cars were not always a shade near to Bluebird blue either. The Merc was a Metallic red, the Aston DB4 GT similarly coloured, the Morris 1000 cream, AC and XK120 very dark blue, almost black.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
Wallis

Post by Wallis »

sheppane wrote:In no particular order and by no means an exhaustive list, an AC Ace, 4.5 Litre Bentley, Aston Martin DB2, Aston Martin DB3, Jaguar XK 120, Jaguar XK 150, Mercedes SL, MK1 Jaguar, Radford Mini Cooper, Aston Martin DB4 GT, Jaguar E-Type 4.2, Morris 1000 Traveller. I'm not aware of the Jensen, if he did own one it would be a 1950's model, not the more famous version which was introduced at the Earls Court motor show in November 66.
klingon wrote:Wasn't an Interceptor it was a CV8-remember a photo in the owners club mag when I owned one of DC sitting in a light metallic blue one same as mine (what other colour do you think he would buy?) :)
Wow, that was quick! The Jensen Interceptor in question believed owned by Donald was one of the 50's models and made a cameo appearance in the 1962 film "The Fast Lady". Interesting about the CV8, I'll chase that one up and see if the car has survived. Is that your CV8 in the photo?
mark-f

Post by mark-f »

Does anyone have any info on the Radford Cooper. I have seen one picture of it taken with the prototype rocket car but have never seen any other info at all. Anything would be much appreciated.

Thanks, M
klingon

Post by klingon »

@ Wallis-no wish it was!-just a stock photo,mine was a lot rustier than that!-think I paid somewhere in the region of £300 pounds for it so you can guess how long ago that was-swapped it for a series 1 e type roadster-sigh! :cry:
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Being picky, wasn't the Mercedes a SLR "Gullwing", the SL being the smaller version?

Ken (Norris) had a Bentley MKVI that was once DC's which he then gave Ken as a thank you.
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
sheppane

Post by sheppane »

f1steveuk wrote:Being picky, wasn't the Mercedes a SLR "Gullwing", the SL being the smaller version?

Ken (Norris) had a Bentley MKVI that was once DC's which he then gave Ken as a thank you.
Steve,

It was a Gullwing 300SL, but not an R, in Burgundy red. There are only 2 300 SLR's (R for Racing) which were built up from spare race car chassis after Mercedes withdrew from racing in 1955. I bet DMC wished he had one of those. One went straight to the Merc museum, the other was run by Rudolf Uhlenhaut, their chief engineer.

Here is an image of the SLR. Beautiful.
1955 Mercedes Benz 300SLR Coupe_4.jpg
and here is an image of DC's SL and the Aston DB3
n_a.jpeg
n_a-1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wallis

Post by Wallis »

klingon wrote:@ Wallis-no wish it was!-just a stock photo,mine was a lot rustier than that!-think I paid somewhere in the region of £300 pounds for it so you can guess how long ago that was-swapped it for a series 1 e type roadster-sigh! :cry:
I'm sure the CV8 in the stock photo you happened to choose belongs to a friend who also happens to have a 50's Interceptor like Donald was supposed to have! :D

I wonder where the Gullwing is now and the Feltham Built Aston?

The Jensen Interceptor appears twice in "The Fast Lady" film, anyone who wants to have a look can fast forward to 6m 42 in this YouTube clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=417tHeBLz_U