Bluebird K7, the "New" tail fin & Balance point query

klingon

Re: Bluebird K7, the "New" tail fin & Balance point query

Post by klingon »

Mosquito?-mmmm that's definitely one for the model makers in the project-Balsa's too hard to fold and weld!-although so saying I'm still current on Griffons and Merlins right enough!
Worked on the Lanc in Canadian Warplane heritage 20 years ago and that was enough for me!-Bill will probably come up with something once the Big Blue Lobster is finished and in the Ruskin.
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
klingon

Post by klingon »

Renegadenemo wrote:
Mike Bull wrote:Have I got to start bringing in salad bowls for tea break time instead then?! :o

Certainly wouldn't do you any harm...
Coming from the guy who was told to "lose the knife and fork"?
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

klingon wrote:
Renegadenemo wrote:
Mike Bull wrote:Have I got to start bringing in salad bowls for tea break time instead then?! :o

Coming from the guy who was told to "lose the knife and fork"?
I'd forgotten about that. Said by Dr John King at number 100 Harley Street when I got my diving medical for Scrapheap.

"I'm signing you off 100% with no restrictions. The only thing I can find wrong with you is there's rather too much of you... Lose the knife and fork"
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Lead ingots, mounted in the stern to compensate for the more forward mounted Orpheus (e.g to re-instate the balance). Tailfin pulling the the bow up, does that ignore the fin (and rudder) designed to drive the bow down? Just a thought.
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
thunderer

Post by thunderer »

klingon wrote:Mosquito?-mmmm that's definitely one for the model makers in the project-Balsa's too hard to fold and weld!-although so saying I'm still current on Griffons and Merlins right enough!
Worked on the Lanc in Canadian Warplane heritage 20 years ago and that was enough for me!-Bill will probably come up with something once the Big Blue Lobsteris finished and in the Ruskin.
Hmmm, I have heard K7 called a few things, but never a big blue lobster........................and as for the lanc, how many are left flying now ?
Renegadenemo wrote:

Who wants to eat rabbit food guys ?? a healthy meat rich diet with plenty of real ale will do just fine for me. Even tho i never gain an ounce of weight.
f1steveuk wrote:Lead ingots, mounted in the stern to compensate for the more forward mounted Orpheus (e.g to re-instate the balance). Tailfin pulling the the bow up, does that ignore the fin (and rudder) designed to drive the bow down? Just a thought.
That answers my question on the lead weights query....... so thanks for that f1steveuk. As an aside, i take it you like formula 1 ??
Just cos my username is Thunderer, doesn't necessarily mean I SHOUT !!
"A vehicle is designed to be used, restored or otherwise" A personal response on the question "you have just restored it, why use it?"
klingon

Post by klingon »

K7 has been known by a lot of nicknames over the years-big blue lobster being one of them-and funny words in ancient aramaic in the Project workshop being another!
Yeah-2 Lancs fit to fly-one at Hamilton Ont and the other at Battle of Britain flight here-although there are a few others hanging around in various states of undress-one as far as I believe fit to taxi-and another one -horror of horrors stuck up on a pole in Toronto-although that ones more a collection of spares bolted together-just like the "Spitfire" in Glasgow Kelvingrove Museum.Got a photo of me somewhere walking along the wing of The Lanc in Hamilton -will see if I can dig it out.Funny thing is when we took her out on her proving flight the main hydraulic pump chucked it and we had to curtail the test-arrived back in Hamilton and Cliff Robertsons Spitfire came in on our tail unannounced with a blown prop hub seal-weird coincidence.
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

thunderer wrote:
klingon wrote: so thanks for that f1steveuk. As an aside, i take it you like formula 1 ??
A user name given to me when I worked in F1. Liked it when there were proper cars and "racing", not so certain now!
thunderer

Post by thunderer »

Now you REALLY have my attention !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

depending how far back you worked, i'd be interested to learn.

I prefer the "pre aero dynamics" era, when men were men and the cars were a handful. no wings and no safety cells, just alloy, steel, engine, wheels, open cockpits, hands on gear shifting drivers whoe REALLY knew how to drive. not like now with all this namby pamby areo stuff and electronics up the yahooo.

That said, some good men came out of/went into the early areo years of F1.

ANYWAY, BACK TO SUBJECT !!

How's about we solve each item on that list i wrote, in order, then compile the results ?? see if we cant fully understand what led to the deadly events of jan 4th 1967

an interesting website HERE btw. A LOT of useful b/g info on the campbells and of donald himself as well as K7. some minor inaccuracies in the writings, but generally exceptionally good.
"A vehicle is designed to be used, restored or otherwise" A personal response on the question "you have just restored it, why use it?"
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

You'd be surprised how many people who work in F1 simply don't understand it!
Still I used ALL of their facilties when I wrote Leap into Legend so I owe them a bit!!

I just had a look at the site linked, "some minor inaccuracies", well the bit I read was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY away from the truth!!
thunderer

Post by thunderer »

i was trying to be diplomatic about the "inaccuracies" !!

How is the term goes ?? "full of holes" ?

i would LOVE to know who does the writing. And i'm concerned that, with the inaccuracies, it's actually SANCTIONED by the Cambpells (so it sais on the home page anyways) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So which bit did u read that they got oh so right (wrong in every way)