KW Mitchell

Re: So, what did Bluebird sound like?

Post by KW Mitchell »

Thanks, Gents.
K.
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

Mike Bull wrote:I think the greatest impressions I've got from the 'Price...' documentary are that 1, no matter how much you read and see dramatically portrayed etc, in this film you really can see just how miserable the entire 66/67 campaign was, and how aged-looking Donald Campbell was. Also, you can see just how well cast 'Across The Lake' was- Donald, Tonia, Leo, Ken Norris all looking just like their dramatic counterparts did- and how the film took whole chunks of this documentary and made it into the script!

Fascinating stuff, anyhow.
It demonstrated also the great acting skills of Anthony Hopkins, who had clearly studied Donald Campbell's whole persona and emulated the majority of his body language and manner of speech as well as (almost) his exact words during some of the press interviews. Across the Lake has come in for a lot of criticism over the years and does contain some inaccuracies, but it remains a very entertaining, well made and atmospheric reminder of the 1966/7 attempt. As for being miserable, I was up there in Dec 1966 and it was bitterly cold amongst other things. The limited budget for the attempt was clearly in evidence and the only sponsor I can remember was the Daily Sketch newspaper, whose banner was placed to the side of the temporary boathouse and frequently ended up in the water. Nevertheless, when K7 ran it was very exciting indeed and left an indelible impression on my then 14 year old mind. A never to be forgotten mixture of sights, sounds and even smells on occasion.

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

A personal favourite:

"semper in excretia sumus; solum profundum variat"

(Always in the manure, only the depth varies...)

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 »

price of a record is a fantastic documentary, the interviews with donald show very graphically the pressure he was under. as well as the "tramping like buggery" section, there is also the "take off" down the lake which gives a display of the acceleration of k7 and also the effects of tramping when donald says"having to throttle back and my mask is coming off!" fantastic stuff!!!!!!!!!
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..
KW Mitchell

Post by KW Mitchell »

Mike Bull wrote:I think the greatest impressions I've got from the 'Price...' documentary are that 1, no matter how much you read and see dramatically portrayed etc, in this film you really can see just how miserable the entire 66/67 campaign was, and how aged-looking Donald Campbell was ----------------
My contribution of Apr. 14th (see http://www.bluebirdproject.com/message/ ... p?f=2&t=40) :-

--------- and therein might we factor such effects upon that fateful campaign of '66/'67.

Campbell in dubious health, almost penniless, pressured by the need to make record to deadline, disillusioned by the diminishing wider interest.

Problem after problem with an aging and much modified craft.

A support team not in the first flush of youth with the 67 year old Villa steadfast and indefatigable despite his very real - and justified - concerns about the wisdom of the whole attempt.

Deplorable working conditions under a flimsy tarpaulin rig which elected to compound the drama by collapsing on K7 during a storm.

The advisability of such an effort - with that wonderful eye of hindsight - we might question.
The courage and fortitude, we cannot.
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Ok, I'm name dropping! Alain de Cadenet got the job of driving the replica in Across the Lake, because he owned one of Sir Malcolm's cameras (!!). Ken Norris and I worked with Jack Lovell on the replica, and during this came into contact with Anthony Hopkins. The man is a genius! Last in the bar at night, welsh accent telling jokes. When the director called action, it was like a switch, he WAS Donald. He had studied my copy of Price, and every newsreel he could lay his hands on. Every mannerism, dialect and phrase was well practised. To the point that at least three times at the first showing, Donald's sister Jean turned to him and said "I don't remember that Donald" she was so taken in. I have it on good authority that Nixon's children said the same about Hopkins portrayal of Tricky Dicky.
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
klingon

Post by klingon »

Mike Bull wrote:However, apparently Dr Lecter's family were appalled at his portrayal of their dear Hannibal! :lol:
:twisted: anyone for a cheeky Chianti and some Fava beans?
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Mike Bull wrote:However, apparently Dr Lecter's family were appalled at his portrayal of their dear Hannibal! :lol:

"Nothing like him! they said, "he never ate with his mouth open"
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
klingon

Post by klingon »

f1steveuk wrote:

"Nothing like him! they said, "he never ate with his mouth open"
Actually according to "Hannibal Rising" his family must have disagreed with him-or mebbe it was the Fava beans! :twisted:
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
Russ

Post by Russ »

6:30 is pretty astonishing too!

And to think that they got paid for having that much fun.