The Australian Replica

Pullman99

Re: The Australian Replica

Post by Pullman99 »

Thanks for posting the oics Mike. There are two related websites for Lake Bonney and Lake Dumbleyung that both refer to the replica (reproduction??) and theer seem to be separate timetables for celebrating each location's anniversary. Presumably just the one K7 replica though.

I always hoped that someone would take forward the idea of a 1964 replica.

Does anyone know how it's all progressing, who's carrying out the work? Also.where is the replica eventually to be kept and are they working from the same source materials as The Bluebird Project?
Ian Robinson
Bluebird K7 - the restoration project of the Century.
malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk »

Pullman99 wrote:Does anyone know how it's all progressing, who's carrying out the work? Also.where is the replica eventually to be kept and are they working from the same source materials as The Bluebird Project?
The work was won by tender by Statewide Boating, owned by Mark and Hilary Motzouris. I feel sure an Oz correspondent will know what information is allowing the build to progress (I do not know). The location for the replica is said to be an interpretative centre in Dumbleyung - think Ruskin Museum Campbell wing transplanted to the lake shore. The aim is December 31st when the water speed and 'double' will be celebrated.

If you are on 'facebo***' then there are two sites Dumbleyung Bluebird and K7 Project Bluebird.
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

They asked if we could help with plans but unfortunately all ours are for the 54 version and the boat is made of squillions of small pieces and that's not how they wanted to build theirs so we weren't able to help much.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Pullman99

Post by Pullman99 »

Thanks everyone. It certainly appears that they're making progress. Hopefully, they will also acknowledge everything that you guys are doing too.
Ian Robinson
Bluebird K7 - the restoration project of the Century.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I really do hate having to say this because it's plain to see that lots of people have put lots of work into that so why, oh why, did they make it all the wrong shape? I mean, it's OK, it'll look not bad at a distance but if you're going to put a bend in a piece of metal it's no extra effort to put it in the right place, surely. That odd nose on the Tribute Act has long fascinated and appalled me at the same time - just, why?
Yes, we have a lot of drawings but by no means a complete set (we certainly don't have one for the nose) and most are obsolete anyway so we build everything so it's indistinguishable from the squillions of photographs taken from every imaginable angle that exist in the public domain. I just don't get why you wouldn't unless it's intended as an artistic representation only.

Puzzled from Newcastle...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Richie

Post by Richie »

And there was me thinking it was a better job all round compared to 777.... Probably has more chance of getting onto its points. At least the intakes and sponsons are closer to being workable (no disrespect to 777 but haway lads...sort it out)

We have to remember that this will be built by a tender who has a time and budget constraint...no plans just images, I reckon it's a case of "it's close enough people will recognise it for what it's supposed to be". Where as we have Mike and an ethos of "you want it now ? Or do you want it right ?" I would sooner get behind this than 777, as it is being done with the best intentions and for the right reasons IMHO.
Last edited by Richie on Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

I don't envy them the task of trying to make a good replica, given that they will have had a whole load of constraints on what they could realistically achieve. We are purists, but the general public aren't. They will look at that, once it's painted blue, and it will ring the right bells, and at the end of the day that's all I imagine it was supposed to do.

All this goes to underline that there is only one Bluebird K7 and everything else is shandy.

Nigel
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

It's going to take a lot of P38 to correct that..............................
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

f1steveuk wrote:It's going to take a lot of P38 to correct that..............................
"Fill large gaps with Loy" :lol:
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...
malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk »

I am not qualified to be so harsh with comments but when the Oz builder says he used " ... some photos and three measurements, length, width and height and a lot of imagination ....". That being so then perhaps what they have will suit their needs in the run up to their New Years eve sell out dinner. Apart from the book launch at Brooklands & at Beaulieu and the tree planting in Preston, Britain has not embraced the double. Perhaps something should have been done with the across the lake 'buck' and CN7?

[My own thoughts and not those of 'operations'].
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations