Pic of the Day

malcolm uk

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by malcolm uk »

F21, sleeved holes "were a bit off".

My metalwork teacher in the sixties would not have used an expletive in class perhaps but the phrase " .... a f****** mile off lad .... " came to my mind. Not so easy to see in the Filching photo posted in the thread above, but a bit obvious in today's pic (7th).

Three decimal places means you are measuring in metres, centimetres, millimetres ............ being within a 1/32 of an inch may have done in the fifties ;) .
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

Malcolm, you have reminded me of my sixties metalwork Teacher ... one Mr Tector, an ex-Commando, hard as nails, who had lost both legs in WW2. Much like Douglas Bader, he refused to walk with sticks and used to lurch, creak and clank around the metalwork shop doing little actual teaching but dispensing plenty of painful and summary discipline at the sign of even a minor transgression. Once, when showing us how to braze, he rightly decided I was not paying full attention and passing me the still hot brazing rod, asked me to hold it for him. I did so, and still have a scar on my right palm from the burn I received. He would certainly have been sacked nowadays, but I just learned my lesson and made sure he always got my full attention thereafter. He was very keen on precision and one of his favourite activities would be to hand you an irregular-shaped piece of 1/8" mild steel plate and instruct you to file it into a square with sides of 1". Periodically he would place his 6" metal straightedge along each of the four sides and if he could see light anywhere between the edge and the job, it was a fail. This required more filing until, you guessed it, the plate became less than 1" square .... which was another fail .... And you had to start all over again. Happy days ... :-)

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Three decimal places means you are measuring in metres, centimetres, millimetres ............ being within a 1/32 of an inch may have done in the fifties ;) .
The result of several weeks of setting up the spars and sponsons then measuring with a laser scanner proved that the diagonals between the front and rear spars was 3.855m both ways. Pretty good, eh. The structure is absolutely spot on.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

I was much enjoying the Retro POTD images, but it's great to see the present run of pix that show current activity.

It must be weird working on those sponsons sometimes, when you stop to think that the last time someone made these parts, K7 had no history whatsoever and Donald hadn't a record to his name.

An enduring legend having been created in the 60 years between, the whole thing's come full circle with new-build again.

Nigel
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

It's certainly weird working on the sponson tops. We've just included the last of the original pieces of sponson skin and now we're all new build but just the size of them and to see them built up is spooky. The cores don't have the same effect because the only time they were ever really seen like that was in a handful of pics when the spar was being raised and then when they'd been stripped off in the crash - but put the top covers on...

riding shotgun

Post by riding shotgun »

Just when you think there can't be anymore original Bluebird parts left another piece comes out of storage and back in it's rightful place, some with original to paint as well!

Colin
Ste

Post by Ste »

Looking great! Amazing how finished off she looks with the fairings in place. Simply stunning - keep up the good work -cooking on gas now! :thumbup:
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

PotD wrote:Look at many archive photos or footage of the boat- particularly views taken when she’s actually out on a run- and you’ll see a strange effect whereby one sponson seems to be ahead of the other one,
I still wouldn't discount the possibility that one actually was :lol:
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I still wouldn't discount the possibility that one actually was :lol:
Hey - our diagonals across the spars are correct to three decimal places, I'll have you know...

sbt

Post by sbt »

Renegadenemo wrote: Hey - our diagonals across the spars are correct to three decimal places, I'll have you know...
I think the comment was related to the fact that that may not be historically accurate.