20,000 Leagues Under The Sea - The Diving Thread

mtskull

Re: 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea - The Diving Thread

Post by mtskull »

Nice wreck, Richie! I hope your ears hold out and you get to see everything you want to.

I'm counting down too; this time next month I hope to be doing this: :)
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

(Beware- it's the Daily Fail, dodgy captions and all. Interesting pictures though)
The one that tickled me said something like, see how untouched the wrecks are by all the coral growth. Do they think divers go around scratching off the coral? Nice find, though. And a girl diver too! They were always a rare commodity in the North Sea, which is why I spent so many years single and diving every night. The girl divers in our neck of the woods usually looked like they were born in the sea and scavenged for shellfish with their whiskers.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Awesome, when we going ?
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

The scale is along the top of the images in slant-range out from the fish. Nothing to get excited about in either image though I'd probably shoot the bottom one a few more times just to get a better idea. It could be man-made or it could as easily be a tree.
C-Max sonar by the looks. I never really liked the fish design. It's too light, over complicated and has its transducers on the outside for some reason so it's nice and easy to snag it but it's a compact system that can be deployed by a couple of people from a rowing boat. There's also things that the software insists on dealing with that it's handy to be able to change manually as you go but the image quality is OK. Shot a car with one in the Mersey one time, clearly identifiable as a hatchback Cavalier in the full-size image.
It's on the right-hand channel near the top.
C-Max Car Shot.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Well got back from Cyprus.... week wasted, one dive, no wrecks.......sick and fed up now

however you can marvel at the unique finnings of Richie !

ps I know the tank is too low and I know I am slightly heavy. it was too hot to faff about, and i had already been bartered down from 8kg, the instuctor wanted me on 4kg so i met in the middle :)
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

Stunningly beautiful down there Richie.

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Richie wrote:Well got back from Cyprus.... week wasted, one dive, no wrecks.......sick and fed up
That's a real shame. Did your eustachian tubes let you down? :(
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Richie

Post by Richie »

No equalised perfectly, all be it as you can see, to clear my right side I have to stretch my neck a wee bit.
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Well, I did eventually get to dive the Beaufighter; 5th dive of the holiday and final dive of the PADI Deep Diver Speciality course. 38 metres down and superb visibility, just like in this video which was what made me so keen to dive this site in the first place. I'm a happy bunny. 8-)

No dives now for a couple of days so a few scoops to celebrate, then back in the water on Friday for a look around HMS Maori, bombed and sunk in Valletta harbour during WW2.
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

The Beaufighter is a rare bird indeed. Anyone who'd like to see one without diving off Malta can do so at Scotland's National Museum of Flight, at East Fortune airfield near Edinburgh. It's a former Portugese air-force example, and the last time I visited it was all in big chunks undergoing restoration. It's in decent order though, and almost all of the major parts are there.

East Fortune's well worth a look. There's a Concorde there, splendidly displayed in its own hangar - a far cry from the lacklustre Brooklands Concorde offering.

http://www.nms.ac.uk/national-museum-of-flight/

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/album.php?p=367

Nigel