Visit to Filching Manor Motor Museum

Renegadenemo

Re: Visit to Filching Manor Motor Museum

Post by Renegadenemo »

I'd love to go and visit the museum, does anyone know if it is still open to the public anymore?
I think Fred has enough sway to get people through the door - Fred, where are you?
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
lsrdatabase

Post by lsrdatabase »

Renegadenemo wrote:

I'd love to go and visit the museum, does anyone know if it is still open to the public anymore?
I think Fred has enough sway to get people through the door - Fred, where are you?

Hi All

Yes I am still around, and able to get people into Filching. Usually within a week or so's notice. Therefore, if anyone would like a visit laid on, please say so.

To those who have enquired, I thank you.b And just say after tests, I need to have surgery; so I am waiting to hear from the hospital.

Regards to all, Fred
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

What's happened to the photos on this thread?
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

To what picture are we referring to as I see no picture posted? Mike?

Indeed the Agfa Bluebird II Cat boat is claimed to be the one Gina flipped at Nottingham during her first attempt of unofficially taking the Women's World Water Speed Record. I have no reason to think it was not the same boat. I say unofficially as at the time I recall there was no category for women until probably Gina kicked the officialdom arse's into action. I have the footage from Gina The Last of the Campbell's somewhere I think it was called. Mr.Roger Jenkins quite a character complete with Rolex watch and swagger did announce during the documentary that "I am going to take the biggest risk of my life " which raised my eyebrow servers (as Bill calls them : ) He was what? Going to take what risk exactly? Gina was the one in the boat!! I always remember the guy waving the plank or nose wing jumping around on the jetty until it came over the radio Gina had flipped! The guy holding the plank suddenly didn't know whether to stuff the plank up his arse or what to do with it!! The blood drained from Mr.Jenkins face until a lady on the radio announced "it's o.k. Roger she's swimming". Mr Whoppit once again had been dunked. There was talk of rebuilding the boat and the strangest thing was that when they tried to save the engine it suddenly burst into flames and the boat had to be pushed back into the water. Gina was wet and clearly in shock but thankfully unhurt. In all the excitement and this is when things can go seriously wrong on record attempts Jenkins had taken the decision to removed the plank but not altered the trim of the boat accordingly. :shock:
Novie Dzinora

GTRacer wrote:Hi All, Regards Gina's Agfa Bluebird 2 Cat.

Please correct me if i'm wrong. But my memory was that this boat was flipped during the record attempt?? I'm sure that the then O'N and O'Z (F2 & F1) racer Roger Jenkins advised gina to remove the nose wing to get the bow higher in the water and go quicker. This did work but flipped the boat on the final run. Is this the same boat but rebuilt, or is my childhood memory rusty. I did see both Gina and the offshore boat #70 in about '86, Mr Whoppit was in the cabin.

Please fill in the details in my swiss cheese memory if anyone can add to the picture.

"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Well Bu--er me I didn't notice that Mike when reading back through recent inquiry. Oh well :oops: Funnily enough I read Teds post and thought the date was strange re the reply from him! Oh well a Senior moment :D
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

Welcome to middle-age Novie :-)

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
lsrdatabase

Post by lsrdatabase »

Hi chaps,
I think the pictures are now on my website I don't know when or if they were taken down, or for that matter how they got onto my site, but they are there if anyone wants to see them.
If it is not too early, may I wish Seasons greetings to all.
Keep up the wonderful work you are doing. Fred
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

Fred, are you still able to arrange tours?
lsrdatabase

Post by lsrdatabase »

Hi Chaps,
I'm afraid visits to Filching Manor are now out of the question even for me, as bad health and mobility stop even me from visiting. All I can suggest is to email Karl Foulkes-Halbard at Filching Manor.

Karl is most amenable, very easy to talk to. You can mention my name, as were still on friendly terms, it's just that I can't walk much and I can't get my scooter into the sheds.

Regards, Fred
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

Ok thanks Fred, hope things improve for you.