Richie's Little Tank

sbt

Re: Richie's Little Tank

Post by sbt »

1st Battalion The Rifle Brigade
22nd Armoured Brigade
7th Armoured Division

Either from the Battalion HQ (in which case the Tac Sign colour is non-regulation) or, possibly, attached to HQ 5 RTR (which would match the Tac Sign)
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Pretty happy with the stag's head but not 100% on the numbers... It'll do though
I think it looks great. To me, the little tank is looking more and more weathered-in and more authentic with this new paint scheme. I like it.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Richie

Post by Richie »

SBT. Yeah buddy it will be 1 rifle brigade attached to 7th armoured.

I need to remove the yellow tac sign as that denotes HQ squadron for 5. RTR in which case the 54 should be a 52

I was going to mark it as 5 RTR until I realised they did not use any carriers, but had dingo's and half tracks instead. My research indicates that if I change the yellow diamond to a green one it should work.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Richie

Post by Richie »

They usually do... Usually through armour envy though :D
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Richie

Post by Richie »

Well got home from London yesterday after a busy week helping a mate move some exhibits from the artillery museum in Woolwich........that was an eye opener !

Some 400 tonnes of tanks, artillery pieces, bronze canon, field guns, and some odd weapons !

Needless to say, after pulling 17 hours days for a week! I was ready for some light duties so popped into the garage and painted the desert rat onto the carrier.

Pics to follow:

Richie

Post by Richie »

https://www.facebook.com/richard.harris ... 6437289947 Moving the 50T Centurion tank from its resting place was interesting, the thing was probably the heaviest peice there and was squeezed in by a post. None of the exhibits with exception of the 432 and the Lance missile carrier actually worked...everything had to be pulled out manually

Luckily we had a number of retired REME soldiers with us, along with a REME R.S.M

Unfortunately I only got a few snaps (as I was busy !)

Oh yes back to the carrier,

Behold ! A one legged Gerboa :D

Richie

Post by Richie »

Bit more done over the last few days. I have been trying to source information for some time regarding the B set antenna base bracket, these are few and far between, and many collectors will not share information when it comes to something that can potentially make some money.

After some searching, I managed to locate some drawings, which were short of quite a lot of data ! (Luckily I am used to this now, what with sponsons on K7 being a nightmare)

Using the drawings, known data off my hull, and numerous archive photo's, I was able to backwards engineer the drawings and make a card pattern.

I then transferred this to 16swg steel sheet and cut out with an angle grinder, finishing the edges with a file.

A trip down to BBHQ where I borrowed Aiko's fly press, and BBHQ's sheet bender and I was able to put all the required bends in place.

Here we have it mocked up ready for welding the gusset (or what ever it is best described as) onto the main bracket

I then mig'd the gusset in, a quick shot blast then back to tank HQ for a test fit.

Here we have it mocked onto the hull to obtain the required data for the holes...they were piloted and then drilled out to 10mm.

Once I was happy, I removed the bracket and painted it to match the hull... Let it dry and re fitted.

Another bit checked off the list !
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Called in today for a look-see and the little tank is looking amazing in its new paint scheme with ever more detail and little interesting parts appearing here and there. First class work, Rich...

Richie

Post by Richie »

Bit more painting done today, ran out of thinners though so dropped back onto fab work until tea time.

I managed to cut out the net's for the 19 set mount and variometer bracket.... May need to borrow the fly press from Aiko again though Bill.

Front div and unit markings went on before the light faded, then I called it a day.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

May need to borrow the fly press from Aiko again though Bill.
The little tank is looking splendid, and you know where to find the fly press...