Nomadic, Titanic & other historic vessels

Richie

Re: Nomadic, Titanic & other historic vessels

Post by Richie »

Another one has gone to the bottom with what appears to be the loss of all hands.

Scotland

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-h ... s-30667084
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
klingon

Post by klingon »

One of the last images of RMS Olympic at TW Wards of Inverkeithing where she was towed for final demolition of the hull after the superstructure was removed and internal fittings auctioned at Jarrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Bah! Hull-mounted sonar - rubbish!

No substitute for getting a towfish up close and personal. The rendering in the software may have improved with the multibeam systems but they're still not a patch on sidescan. Our Britannic images from 2003 are still the standard.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bill+ ... B800%3B208
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Strange situation with the Lusitania, privately owned, however the Irish government won't allow the owner to dive / research the vessel without permits etc (which they seldom give) the wreck is in a shocking state and is all but flat, helped along by British navy ships depth charging it, some say in a bid to hide any potential evidence..
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Strange situation with the Lusitania, privately owned, however the Irish government won't allow the owner to dive / research the vessel without permits etc (which they seldom give) the wreck is in a shocking state and is all but flat, helped along by British navy ships depth charging it, some say in a bid to hide any potential evidence..
Good reason for all of that. The 'Lucy' was being systematically stripped of her brass by my ex diving colleagues, though she's one of the few wrecks I could have dived and never did. The do-gooders thought all that lovely treasure was better off lost to us all on the bottom of the ocean than polished and placed in positions of pride in divers' sitting rooms where at least someone would get the benefit so they placed it off-limits.
By a long story that I'll not bore you with I inherited Gregg Bemis's mixed gas dive computer and it displays his name as its owner when it's switched on to remind me that I should have a 'Lucy' porthole amongst my collection.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Titanic II project has been scuttled as of May 15... That's the end of that then.

The Auzzie funder has ran into financial difficulties elsewhere so jobs goosed !

blue star line shipping is no more, not that it ever was.

People lack determination !
Richie

Post by Richie »

I am genuinely disappointed as I would have loved to go onboard her.... With my drysuit and thermals of course !

It seems the Auzzie chap is a bit of a Walter Mitty in that he dreams up projects and never see's then through. This one went further than most... Maybe one day !
Daz27

Post by Daz27 »

Long time listener, 1st time caller... If you guys were aware of the guy behind the Titanic II pipe dream, you would not be surprised that its been scuttled. I must say, I'm DYING for a new entry in the diary... :)
Richie

Post by Richie »

was not very deep, the divers were still on air.

Loads of quality brass and bronze to be had too !
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Fans of this thread may find the following news item of interest ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36834761

Tahoe, of course, is where poor Lee Taylor met his end.

Nigel