20,000 Leagues Under The Sea - The Diving Thread

mtskull

Re: 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea - The Diving Thread

Post by mtskull »

Dived this yesterday, 28m depth and less than 100m from the shore off Calvi. Not my photo but you get the drift.
Didn't get as much time on the wreck as I would have liked, as one of the group used his air up twice as fast as anyone else and ended up sharing with the dive master while the rest of us still had enough for another half hour. Still, the weather is good and it will still be there tomorrow...

Things I learned yesterday:
1) Don't buy a cheap Chinese dive light (actually not even very cheap at €49 without batteries). Mine was rated to 60m but at about 5m it began to let water in, was dim and flickering at 20m and gave up the ghost entirely shortly afterwards.
2) Even a small electric current will electrolyse seawater into hydrogen and oxygen: as I boarded the boat after the dive, the blinkin' thing exploded, scattering batteries and bits & pieces everywhere.
3) The French are well versed in the art of robbery: the chandler who sold me the light that very morning, refunded the price of the light but not of the batteries; presumably he thought that I could retrieve them from the sea bed and get some further use out of them... :roll:

Strangely, there is no trace at all of the rear fuselage and tail of the B-17; not even on some wider sonar images that can be found on the web.
Maybe it broke off during the ditching and sank immediately, leaving the rest to drift to where it is now, or a possibly a vessel has snagged it with an anchor and dragged it away (as happened to the cockpit roof a few years back).
Nobody at the local dive centre will admit to any knowledge of its whereabouts but I get the sense that they know something that they are not letting on.....

Fancy coming down here with Predator and having a look, Bill?
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Fancy coming down here with Predator and having a look, Bill?
It would be nice to shoot a few images, that's for sure. We had a similar thing when doing the sonar work for Deep Wreck Mysteries. One of the targets was a corvette called HMCS Regina. The divers were convinced that it had only lost the tip of the stern until we imaged it and discovered they only had half a ship.
Didn't take us long to find the aft half and it had never been dived.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Renegadenemo wrote:It would be nice to shoot a few images, that's for sure. We had a similar thing when doing the sonar work for Deep Wreck Mysteries. One of the targets was a corvette called HMCS Regina. The divers were convinced that it had only lost the tip of the stern until we imaged it and discovered they only had half a ship.
Didn't take us long to find the aft half and it had never been dived.
Wow. The word is over-used these days but to be the first to dive on a wreck....Awesome!
By the way, did you spot anything else in the area? The father of a friend of mine ditched a Vickers Warwick just off Trevose Head in 1945 (he survived). I would love to dive that one day before I get too old.
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Well if Innes is involved the type will be spot on but looking at where it is I doubt the divers will ever get on it. It's chuffing deep down there! We did the support work on an exped to dive HMS Dasher some years ago and from memory it was 170m to seabed there and it gets deeper as you head south.

Richie

Post by Richie »

Would that be the dive with the lady and the self inflating buoyancy bags ?
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Would that be the dive with the lady and the self inflating buoyancy bags ?
That's the one... It's also the one where one of today's leading authorities on deep diving totally lost lost it aboard Predator when asked only to do support work in 12m of water then shat himself and had to be gaffed with a boat hook before he died then later told the world he made the dive. Yeah, right, I was there...

On another note - our great great friend Richie is due much congratulation for a month's worth of work-related study that he's got well and truly stuck into and emerged victorious as we knew he would. Well done, Rich... :D

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Wanted to see this for a while. Nothing worse than losing a diving pal...

http://fmovies.to/film/diving-into-the- ... lr8/29vk5l

Richie

Post by Richie »

Just noticed your comment Bill. Thanks !

:D
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Richie

Post by Richie »

Andrea Doria is heralded as a difficult wreck to dive, I am told it is A bit of a Mecca for Tec divers.

Many have been killed on the wreck.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Andrea Doria is heralded as a difficult wreck to dive, I am told it is A bit of a Mecca for Tec divers.
I don't think it can be that difficult, it's in 70m but that's 30m less than Britannic. Certainly not a beginner's dive but almost routine for a tech diver. I suspect the reason it claims so many divers is because there's so many divers on it and the laws of averages claim the right number. Put the same volume of traffic on Britannic and it would push up the price of body bags.
There's a good book about diving the Doria called Deep Descent and another about the sinking called Colision Course if anyone is interested.