What have forum members been up to?

mtskull

Re: What have forum members been up to?

Post by mtskull »

Managed to get hold of a copy of "Into the water barrier".
Not a great deal of information that I hadn't previously learned elsewhere, but very interesting nonetheless to read the story in Donald's own words.
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
StewDurham

Post by StewDurham »

Hi Guys, thought I'd call in on the anniversary and wish you all a happy new year, and congratulate the team on the amazing work. Been a few years since we were up there with a biscuit tin in tow.

SWMBO has been keeping me busy over last 6 months - she's going to finish her revamp of her old outdated counselling certificate in 2017, and earlier this year I kinda shot myself in the foot by saying "Why don't we put a summerhouse in the garden so you can have a calm space to counsel clients in".

I guess the rest's history, but one thing led to another, and another, and another, and although I managed to get the posh shed weathertight, I've got collection of building materials in the garden waiting for the frosts to finish. (We celebrated our half-centurys as well, and bizarrely took up ballroom dancing - don't think that was my idea..)

Thanks for the updates, and good luck, great job..

http://timelapseapp.net/pro/?t=566c3872 ... 42d7ae49da

Cheers,

Stew & Sue
Good luck to the BBP team, makes me proud to be British (and a North-easterner to boot!). Damn fine work, chaps!
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

[quote="Mike Bull/]
Though the portrait appears to be of John Cobb?[/quote]
I've seen the illustration in the final photo before somewhere; in a Look & Learn magazine of the 1960's, if I remember correctly. Funny how the original artist's dodgy likeness (was he working from the wrong photo?), not to mention his terrible representation of the boat, ended up being faithfully reproduced and thus perpetuated. A shame, IMHO, given the incredibly high standard of the rest of the work.
Last edited by mtskull on Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Found it! Previously posted elsewhere on this forum. The portrait does look a little more like Donald and a little less like John Cobb in the original but the boat's still rubbish.
http://www.lookandlearn.com/history-ima ... d-Campbell
Richie

Post by Richie »

turned out cracking that has. the image on the leg guard, I thought, was a good copy of the bad original.

credit where its due, not my bag, but a nice job nonetheless.

did the lad do his own artwork, or get it done by someone else ? I cannot recall now
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

I've always seriously hated these hairdryers, but this 1 has blown me away :P
MJB

Post by MJB »

Since I realised that your workshop is in North Shields, I've been reminiscing about a cracking 6 months I spent there in 1992 whilst working on commissioning two rigs being built in the Hadrian Yard, so I thought I would Google to see how things have changed. Stayed in the Highpoint Hotel in Whitley-bay which has now been pulled down. Spent Sunday lunchtimes at the Ship in the Hole which now appears to be an archaeological sight (hope those archaeologists wear some good gloves because they can catch some serious stuff from what went on in that pub if they're not careful !!) and Friday dinner was at Christian's down on the quay, the best fish & chips you will ever find; about 2 quid for cod chips, bread & butter and a mug of tea. I believe that this chippy is still going albeit under another name 'Oceans'.

Question for the Geordie boys, I remember a pub near to the yard which had a photo of every ship built by Swan Hunter hanging up around the walls in the bar and spent many an hour supping ale and looking at the photos and thinking how the bloody hell could an industry that produced all that dissapear. Would that pub have been what is now the Hadrian lodge Hotel and if it is, does it still have the pictures adorning the walls?

Martin
Richie

Post by Richie »

high point has been bulldozed to the ground..... its just around the point from Browns Bay.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Had some debaucherous nights in the Ship in the Hole! The place never closed.
The Hadrian Lodge Hotel was once the canteen for North East Marine and the pub with all the pic's of Swans' ships was most likely the Turbinia, though one or two other pubs had similar pic's at the time. As for where the industry went - the unions killed it off with strike after strike and ridiculous working practices - nine men to fit a toilet seat, etc. So now NEM's machinery is in Holland and Swans' cranes are in India.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
MJB

Post by MJB »

Debaucherous sounds about right for the Ship In The Hole; glad I didn't forget that part of my stay although the Turbinia doesn't ring a bell.

Glad to see from the link Mike sent that the yard could get going again and without any toilets that need seats fitting on those wind thingys, hopefully it will have a good future.

Thanks for the updates.

Martin