Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Richie

Re: Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Post by Richie »

What turn motor did you go with in the end ?

Also if it's a high rate motor, take the time to balance the prop otherwise you will have problems.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Richie

Post by Richie »

Looks like you have gone with a high rate servo too ! Allturn ?
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
midlife

Post by midlife »

Hi Richie,
The motor I got is the top one on the following link
http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/brushless.htm

The servo, as I know bugger all I just got a heavy duty one with metal gears, in my mind it should be a fit & forget item, I think I can limit the movement with the short servo horn. Are you saying it's no good for the purpose?
Cheers
Wayne

Richie

Post by Richie »

No it's fine, a bit over kill, if it's a high rate servo or it cycles quickly, you may need to be careful when you are under way, rapid rudder changes will spell capsize. You can hook the servo up so it can be adjusted with one of the gains on the transmitter, or as you say limit the throw.

Use those on steering for competitive RC cars.
Richie

Post by Richie »

2600KV motor will push that model more than plenty quick.

I can't stress enough on tuning the prop, make sure your shaft alignment is perfect, and thoroughly bonded into the hull with two part epoxy.

Should be quick when it goes, so spend time on your centre of mass C/G otherwise it will be more realistic than you want... pricey kit to end up on the bottom of a lake.
midlife

Post by midlife »

Hi Richie,
I've spent all day modifying the hull for the flex drive & the motor mount. I've measured it so many times I'm on the verge of blindness. Hopefully I'll get it all epoxied up before I go to bed tonight so it will be good to carry on with in the morning.
Where do I need the c of g to be? I'm guessing just behind the rear outrigger.
Now to consult the YouTube bible to learn prop balancing.
Cheers

Ian, did you get my PM?
Cheers
Wayne

midlife

Post by midlife »

Videos on YouTube watched & a magnetic prop balancer ordered off eBay, I've also managed to get a load of epoxy around where the shaft goes through the transom & forward 50mm over a brace across the width of the planing wedge. The only way to get this bugger out now would be with a hammer & a blow torch.
Cheers
Wayne

Richie

Post by Richie »

That's a one for Mike, mind I would tweak the position as I don't think the C/G will scale plus your angle of thrust may not be the same as the jet turbine ;) ;)

You will need a small amount of tail weight I would think, but not too much otherwise "I've gone!"
midlife

Post by midlife »

I don't want to say "I've gone" ever, I'm completely open to advice.
Anyway, I've made what will eventually be a waterproof box for the servo, I'm just about to put the lid on, just need to work out how to make the end so I can open & close it but still be watertight.
When I suss it I'll do the same for the receiver.
Cheers
Wayne

Richie

Post by Richie »

Silicone sealer it together, at least you can cut it open easily