Collectable Things

Richie

Re: Collectable Things

Post by Richie »

no that was the first Orph.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

A Beryl was also changed due to ingestion of a foreign object, though it left the intakes in tact
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

A quick note on the Beryl - although I confess I haven't too much interest in the history of individual engines ...

Back 1974, aged 18, I had a meeting at Staverton with Peter Thomas, founder of the Skyfame Museum which was based there. The Saunders-Roe SR.A/1 was displayed there back in those days, and I remember being struck by its size - particular its height. It fairly towered over us. Displayed alongside the aircraft was an engine that Peter said, "Came out of Bluebird". In those days I already knew Leo and Ken, so Peter's remark struck a chord and has remained in my mind ever since. I don't know what the serial number of that particular engine was, however.

Peter, incidentally, was one of the most influential people in this country for saving historic aircraft from the scrapman. He railed doggedly against officialdom's indifference to the wholesale destruction of our aviation heritage that was going on in the 1960s.

This link provides a glimpse of a man who is too often overlooked now that historic aircraft preservation is a national pastime: http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history- ... e-rip.html

... and in this link I notice there's actually a reference to the K7 connection: http://www.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/ ... er-thomas/

Nigel
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

I am going from memory here, so normal disclaimers apply. The SRA/1 that remains is the one K7's engine was taken out of, the port one I think, though starboard engine was left in place, and was finally taken out for display, so I think it was Bluebird's "sister" engine that you were shown Niigel. As I said one was an arms tested engine, theother had yet to be fitted as it was earmarked for one of the cancelled SRA/1s. One was lost at sea, the other cut up, the engines going for power station test work. There were less Beryls than there were R Types!!
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
Paul.mccaughtrie

A 50 years collector coin

Post by Paul.mccaughtrie »

http://clubcoinsuk.com/donald-campbell/
Hi all,came across this as I browsed through my fb.
It says some proceeds from the sale of the coin goes to the Ruskin Museum .
Stafford
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

It says some proceeds from the sale of the coin goes to the Ruskin Museum
And I reckon I could guess in one where some more of the proceeds go...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Paul.mccaughtrie

Yes probably most of it to clubcoinsuk Ruskin Museum will most probably get very little.
Stafford
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Have purchased said coin and very nice it is too, happy to pay £19.99. I had a brief chat with the nice young Lad that is doing the coin this venture being fairlyy early days for him .He is ex army I believe only young 25 or 28 ish and some of the money goes to the British Legion who have a hand in it apparently. The profit margin is o.k nothing massive and I would think the Ruskin has the same deal as the newsagancy. In all a nicely made coin in a presentation box that I will add to the collection. However i did decline the thirty quid one signed by Gina as will get her to sign mine at breakfast this morning.

A good article by Clarkson in the Sun today. Only small but a great pic of the boat (sadly)in her final moments before take off.

Anyway having a great week of events sadly no fly past came over Coniston due to "operational comitments" however it has been noted that a jet did fly over Windermere at 08.51 on the 4th so god help us if that was the case?
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Terminator wrote:You can look at a picture a million times then suddenly its there, how the hell have we missed this all these years when it was stairing you in the face all this time.
What was staring us in the face all this time?

Here's a link to the article (sorry, you'll need to scroll down through a load of Clarkson's drivel before you get to the photo in question):
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/opinion/2 ... op-ladies/
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Paul.mccaughtrie

Hiya do you mean the wind blowing? Ripples on the water in the pic of Donald,and not ideal weather conditions?
Stafford