Pic of the Day

Richie

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by Richie »

Current POD.

I know you guys relish cutting into panels I have fabricated or had a hand in mending...... but seriously ! what have you guys done :o :D
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I know you guys relish cutting into panels I have fabricated or had a hand in mending...... but seriously ! what have you guys done :o :D
Just thought we'd push it along a bit for you. Done the welding, up to you to spend a whole day tidying it up now... :lol:
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Techteam

Post by Techteam »

Hope that's good old English oak
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Hope that's good old English oak
It is, as it happens. We had it machined to exactly match the inside profile of the floor corrugations according to the drawings. This piece of floor was about the first piece to hit the water so, as may be imagined, it's been in the wars. The oak was only supposed to be tooling so we could span it between the frame tubes and tweak the pain out of the corrugations against it. Then we decided we'd leave it in there in the final build so it could lend its shape and symmetry to the finished effort - why not? Until we assembled it to the corrugations and tried to pick it up. I've worked with oak many times - it's my timber of choice - so I know how dense and heavy it is but this was just a bit to much so we've deleted the oak and done it a different way.
We've had two solid days of riveting down that corrugated section and been covered in choccie throughout with a bad collective case of 'Skin-Pin-Finger' and we've barely begun mending the forward floor. If anyone asks me the 'when' question in the next 24 hours I'll be lucky if I'm out on bail for the weekend!

no1traumanurse

Post by no1traumanurse »

Wh..?
Slams door and legs it
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

"Heavy enough to sink a battleship".
Hang on, didn't they build battleships from oak once upon a time?
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

The original intention was to use the oak only as tooling to iron out the worst of the crash damage with the corrugated panel in-situ but it soon became part of the process to load the wood with the panel so we thought, may as well leave it in there as it does a good job of holding everything straight and true when everything was pinned down. The original design also called for wood in the same places, though it was never installed except for in the aft-most four positions.
What actually happened - after we'd decided it was ridiculously heavy - is that the panel behaved sufficiently well that we could delete the oak, nail it down as it was and we'll fill the upper corrugations with lightweight pine to sort the levels out before the outer skin goes on.

Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

In the background of todays pic on the wall, is a poster of the xmas day run. Can it be purchased?
conistoncollie

Post by conistoncollie »

Black Knight wrote:In the background of todays pic on the wall, is a poster of the xmas day run. Can it be purchased?
Copies are available from Alamy.com
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

The banner on our wall was made by PDS when they were repairing the frame and we stole it on the day we went to bring the frame home. It's been proudly hung on our wall ever since. It's a stock image but should you try to replicate it when the boat goes home you'd best bring a chainsaw because the trees have grown a bit since.